Vicar - Everton St George
St George’s in Everton is known as the Iron Church and is a Grade One listed building found at one of the highest points in the city. Sitting on Everton Brow the church is well known, if only by sight, to most in the city. It sits in a community with significant economic challenges and great benefits. The church has a real heart for their community seeing it as a privilege to serve as a living witness to God’s transforming power in Everton.
They are looking for a modern, informal leader with a heart for the young and a goal to grow the church. The priest will find a welcoming community, open to new ideas and excited for what the future holds.
Closing Date: 3rd April 2018
Interviews: 28th April 2018
The vicar at Everton, St George’s inherits a building with a fine heritage in a parish just to the North East of Liverpool City Centre. A short walk away are the homes of two fine football clubs and the parish includes Everton Park, an area of mixed use park land with some fine views across the city. The parish contains a high proportion of social rented housing and is an area of acute social deprivation. It includes a secondary academy and an outstanding Church of England primary school.
The vicar can make a huge impact. We have an enormous opportunity to share the message of God’s love. We have a welcoming church community who want to build better links and who love to bring different people, especially the young, into church. As a leader you will find a congregation wanting to make you part of the family and part of the local community. As such you will live in a modern vicarage designed to meet your ministerial needs.
We are looking for a priest who will:
- discern ways to develop ministries to support the needs of working age and older people
- extend relationships with local schools – in particular Beacon CE Primary
- grow the involvement of young people in church
- nurture and develop a network of volunteers
- build on the heritage and history whilst being open to new ideas.
The Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will have:
- a grounding in the evangelical/charismatic tradition but with a wide theological understanding
- an ability to nurture and release spiritual gifts of others
- a desire to embrace the vision of the Diocesan Bishop
- a heart for ministering to children and families
- an understating of the New Wine network and the urban church
- an open, welcoming and informal approach.
- a warm welcoming approach with a strong sense of humour.
For many years we have been working to achieve growth in our diocese. We have used different ways to express this but the aim and direction of travel has remained the same. When Bishop Paul was installed he adopted our growth agenda refreshing it by saying ‘we are asking God for a bigger church so we can make a bigger difference; more people knowing Jesus more justice in the world’ This is how we express our mission. This makes us an exciting, challenging and rewarding place to be. We are innovative, seeking new ways to further God’s mission while respecting cherished traditions. We value our priests and all those working to build a bigger church making a bigger difference offering a high level of accountability with a low level of control. We are committed to equal opportunities and look forward to welcome all to our diocese.