Strategic Programme Manager
The Diocese of Leeds wishes to appoint a Strategic Programme Manager to play a key part in working with the Bishop’s Strategy Group to further develop the vision and strategy, and manage the implementation of strategic plans.
S/he will be responsible for the day to day management of the Leeds Episcopal Area Resource Church programme, proactively monitoring overall progress and supporting key personnel in Resource Churches and Church Plants in planning, delivery and monitoring, and responding flexibily as changes impact.
S/he will manage the programme budget, monitoring expenditure and costs to ensure delivery of strategic plans. The successful candidate will bring added value to the organisation by ensuring the vision and strategy is embedded into diocesan culture, engaging stakeholders, building on positive feedback and identifying any barriers/resistance to change.
The Strategic Programme Manager will have proven ability to:
- Think strategically and act pragmatically, produce detailed plans and deliver results while holding onto and developing the higher level strategic context;
- Lead large scale engagement programmes featuring a diverse range of stakeholders;
- Deliver techniques for planning, monitoring and controlling programmes and projects, including risk and issue management.
We are looking for an individual who has a desire to serve the church in the Diocese of Leeds, is passionate about enabling spiritual/numerical growth and can encourage and support clergy and parish officers as we work together to deliver our strategic objectives.
The Programme Manager is responsible for managing the programmes from initial set up through to successful delivery.
- Support the Programme Board in the management and delivery of the Leeds Episcopal Area Scheme
- Plan and design future programmes confirming the outputs and outcomes to be delivered, alongside the appropriate lead and lag measures
- Define governance frameworks, including the approach to effective planning, monitoring and delivery of the programme’s outcomes.
- Implement the mechanisms by which lead and lag measures can be tracked.
- Support the Bishop’s Strategy Group to further the strategic priorities in line with resource allocations; support the Group in managing the implementation of strategic plans.
- Day to day management of the Leeds Episcopal Area Resource Church programme, proactively monitoring overall progress and ensuring that individual projects and the overall programme deliver to the appropriate quality, time and budget.
- Support key personnel in Resource Churches and Church Plants in the planning, delivery and monitoring of the project.
- Manage and resolve any risks and issues that arise, initiating corrective action as appropriate.
- Effective co-ordination of all projects and their interdependencies, both within and external to the programme.
- Manage third party contributions to the programme (partners, other agencies, consultants etc).
- Report progress of the programme at regular intervals to the Programme Board, including tracking the delivery of outputs and outcomes.
- Work with the Bishop’s Strategy Group and other colleagues to ensure delivery of strategic plans, ensuring flexibility to respond as changes impact.
Change Management & Communications
- Assess the influences, interests and attitudes of the key stakeholders and align the communication and engagement plan accordingly.
- Ensure proactive, day-to-day stakeholder engagement, building on positive feedback and identifying any barriers/resistance to change.
- Track how well changes are being delivered and monitor the capacity of the organisation to cope with the level of change being introduced.
- Work with the Communications Team to ensure the vision and strategy is embedded into diocesan culture, planning regular updates through different media platforms.
- Support the Bishop’s Senior Team in communicating the vision and strategy
- Liaising with the Director of Finance:
- manage the programme budget, monitoring expenditure and costs against the outcomes to be realised as the programme progresses.
- prepare timely updated financial reports for the Leeds Board, the Bishop’s Strategy Group, the Bishop’s Staff, and also on request by the line managers.
- Use the learning to develop the Resource Church programme in other Episcopal Areas, appropriate to the context.
- Work with the Bishop’s Strategy Group to further develop and implement the strategy across the Diocese of Leeds
- Deliver applications for funding to support strategic growth priorities, to the Church Commissioners and elsewhere.
- Ensure regular reviews of strategic priorities to ensure the programmes are fit for purpose.
The Ideal Candidate
- A desire to serve the church in the Diocese of Leeds and passionate about enabling spiritual/numerical growth.
- Understanding of the organisational structure, breadth and dynamics of the Church of England.
- Experience of enabling organisational change through programme management and embedding these changes firmly in an organisation.
- Strong leadership and influencing skills, with the ability to bring order to complex situations and find innovative ways of solving or pre-empting problems.
- Proven ability to lead large scale engagement programmes featuring a diverse range of stakeholders from different disciplines and with differing viewpoints.
- Good knowledge of techniques for planning, monitoring and controlling programmes and projects, including risk and issue management.
- Change management skills and the ability to promote good practice, deal with conflict and address any barriers or resistance to change.
- Ability to think strategically and act pragmatically, produce detailed plans and deliver results while holding onto and developing the higher level strategic context.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to tailor words and pictures to different audiences and present credibly to senior leadership teams.
- A person who shares our values and, whilst not necessarily an Anglican, is a practising Christian.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Programme and project management certifications or substantial experience of managing programmes and projects in a complex environment.
The Dioceses of Bradford, Ripon & Leeds and Wakefield were dissolved at Easter 2014, and the Diocese of Leeds was formed on Easter Day of that year. It has undergone a significant period of change since its formation in 2014. One of the underlying aims of the change process is to ensure long-term sustainability and financial stability with a particular focus of spiritual and numerical growth.
The vision of the Diocese of Leeds is to grow the Church, spiritually and numerically, by enabling the competence and confidence of clergy and laity, and by transforming our communities so everyone has the opportunity to know and understand the love of God.
One focus of the diocesan strategy is on resource churches being grown and developed (from some of the existing large congregation churches) to allow them to plant new church communities in areas, local to them, where the church is presently struggling or failing.
A significant part of the role of Strategic Programme Manager is to support a pilot scheme based in the Leeds Episcopal Area to develop 5 Resource Churches which will plant new churches, which will also plant more new churches over time. While 50% of the role initially relates only to the Leeds Episcopal Area, the intention is to develop the strategy across other episcopal areas appropriate to their context, and the Programme Manager is expected to support this development. The postholder will also play a key part in working with the Bishop’s Strategy Group in developing further the vision and strategy, and in managing the implementation of the strategic plans.