St Paul's Cathedral - Marketing Manager
St Paul’s draws together a very diverse set of activities, projections and aspirations. It is the Cathedral of the Diocese of London and the seat of its Bishop, a national church and an international spiritual focus, a space for worship and holiness, a place of debate and challenge, an icon of resilience in the face of adversity, an architectural heritage centre, a partner in the City of London, and a commercial enterprise. In addition to holding four services every day (five on Sundays), St Paul’s is open for sight-seeing six days a week, and last year welcomed over 800,000 paying visitors.
The Cathedral has a highly ambitious strategic plan that requires a significant step-change in our approach to deliver. This new role of Marketing Manager is part of an expanded development, marketing and communications function to help deliver an ambitious and aspirational vision for the future, thereby sustaining the work of the Cathedral for future generations.
This new role sits within the Global Partnerships team, and sits alongside the Communications and PR Officer and wider Development Team. The post-holder will be required to work in close collaboration with the Communications and PR Officer on campaign planning and delivery, and with the Development Team to support fundraising activity.
The Revd Canon Treasurer is the Chapter member with responsibility for this area of work.
- To develop and manage a marketing strategy for St Paul’s Cathedral
- To deliver a range of marketing campaigns in support of the Cathedral’s broad programme of activities and events
- To work with and support the Head of Visitor Engagement and Head of Commercial Services to plan, implement and evaluate marketing campaigns to achieve visitor and financial targets, including the promotion of the Cathedral’s commercial operations
- To work closely with and support the Communications and PR Officer on managing the Cathedral’s social media channels, significantly building social communities and engagement
- To manage all key marketing campaign elements, including creative copywriting, production and distribution of campaign print, running digital campaigns, overseeing direct marketing campaigns, managing media advertising in press, online, outdoor, radio etc
- To report on all aspects of campaign delivery including digital analytics, eCRM (email marketing) and direct marketing activity
- To review, manage and develop the Cathedral brand, developing brand guidelines and ensuring that there is consistent internal and external application
- To review, develop and manage the Cathedral’s website (and associated websites/US presence)
- To determine the creative approach and choice of media to develop a robust and innovative marketing mix, managing agencies to deliver campaign elements when required
- To liaise with external designers, printers and signage companies to deliver high quality campaign materials and signage on brand, on budget and on time
- To find innovative ways to share our content and ensure that our brand values and guidelines are at the heart of everything that we do
- To work with the Visitor Engagement team and interpretation consultants to ensure a coherent approach to branding and theming
- To undertake (including commissioning) various forms of market research and analysis to support the marketing strategy
- To provide market research intelligence (including benchmarking) which will be used to inform marketing and organisational and commercial decision making
Planning & Organising
The role requires excellent planning and organising skills to;
- Handle requests from across the Cathedral for support with creative, art-working, print production or marketing activity
- To develop a clearly defined annual tactical campaign plan, allocating budget accordingly
Any other appropriate duties that the line manager, senior management or Chapter may request from time-to-time.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for someone who has:
- A higher qualification in Marketing (Degree, CIM Diploma)
- Creativity, innovation and a passion for marketing
- Significant experience of creating and delivering a comprehensive and successful marketing plan
- Heritage and/or tourism marketing knowledge
- Experience of commissioning design projects
- Visual flair in assessing creative design work
- Experience of campaign planning/project management
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team and across a wide range of Cathedral departments
- Excellent presentation skills with an ability to present both qualitative and quantitative information in a clear, concise and persuasive manner to all levels of the organisation. Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience of commissioning and managing external marketing agencies
The successful candidate will be in sympathy with, and in their work support, the Christian aims and mission of St Paul’s Cathedral.
- St Paul’s Cathedral seeks to enable people in all their diversity to encounter the transforming presence of God in Jesus Christ.
- As a community of worshippers, staff and volunteers we work with care and imagination to be a centre for welcome, worship and learning which inspires successive generations to engage with the richness of the Christian faith and its heritage.
- We aim to do this with confidence, compassion and creativity, promoting dignity and justice for everyone.
- We work with the Bishop and Diocese of London and the wider church, as a spiritual focus for London, the nation and the world.
- Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control;
- To uphold integrity, honesty and openness in what we do;
- To aim for the highest possible standards in everything we do, acknowledging that we cannot do everything;
- To make our operations as just and as sustainable as we can;
- To foster and encourage diversity, being inclusive and challenging to ourselves as well as others.