Rector of Bath Abbey
Bath Abbey is parish church in name, a cathedral in vocation – a visible Anglican presence in the heart of the city and a platform for the mission of our bishop. We are a large and diverse congregation and we worship in a variety of styles – traditional, choral, and contemporary.
Our key priority is to have an inspiring pastor who will shepherd us through the building development programme that is on the point of starting, and who will lead us in mission beyond it.
Our vision is to be “a people and place fully alive” in Jesus Christ, focused on worship, hospitality and justice, and living a faith which is rooted in the past, contemporary in its service to society, and visionary for the future.
The Abbey is in a Group Ministry with St Michael's, Bath. For information about St Michael's see http://www.stmichaelsbath.org.uk/
We are a geographically tiny parish in the heart of a UNESCO World Heritage City with a Grade 1 listed building. Our congregation is drawn from a wide area, and we welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors – both pilgrims and tourists – every year. We are a significant part of the Deanery of Bath, whose vision is “Everyone a disciple; everyone a disciple-maker”, and we have major role in the diocese of Bath & Wells, whose foremost priority for action is “mission and evangelism at the heart of everything we do”.
In worship, we are maintaining the high, professional standard of our music while diversifying its range, and we are glad to be able to sustain a variety of worship styles. We have developed a better understanding of mission and as well as investing in our welcome to those who drop in to see us, we have extended our links with mission partners in Africa, India, Sri Lanka and Palestine, and among the disadvantaged people in the city of Bath. We have a large and diverse ministry team of clergy and skilled, trained lay people.
We are looking for a new Rector who will
- Help us to enlarge our vision of what it means to be at the heart of the city
- Encourage us to be more accessible, open, inclusive and welcoming, and to grow in discipleship, numbers and diversity
- Provoke us to be more outward-facing and outwardly engaged
- Shape us to be a church that children, young people and students want to come and join
- Make us look again at our pastoral care for our congregations
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be someone with a servant heart who …
- Is inspiring and visionary for the church of tomorrow
- Will lead us in mission and facilitate our commitment to worship, hospitality and justice
- Is a good listener with a pastoral heart, and a good preacher, teacher and communicator
- Has experience of working successfully through challenge and understands organisational change and development
- Has the process skills to work collegially and build an effective clergy and lay team
- Has a sense of humour and fun!
Further documents (accounts, information about the rectory, annual review) are available to interested candidates from Ann Brown. See also the Information Letter
For an informal conversation about this post contact Ann Brown
Simeon's Trustees and Hyndman's Trustees are leading and long-standing Church of England patronage trusts, with patronage interests in nearly 200 parishes in over 40 dioceses.
For more information see www.simeons.org.uk
Closing Date: midnight 3 June
Visit and Interview: 27-28 June