Personal Assistant to the Residentiary Canons and Executive Assistant to the Dean of Liverpool
Interviews to be held on 12th April 2018
Free on-site parking
Defined contribution pension scheme
The successful candidates skills will include:
- A high level of accuracy and data management.
- Able to deputise for the Executive Assistance in her absence.
- All administration tasks for the Canons and administration support for the Executive Assistant including diary management, arranging and organising large services, minute taking, arranging travel and processing expense claims.
- Experienced in and very competent in the use of all Office packages particularly Excel.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other Secretariat in the Bishops’ Office and the Diocesan Board of Finance office.
Purpose of the role
The purpose of this role is to provide a range of secretarial and personal administration support to the Cathedral Canons and also to the Executive Assistant to the Dean of Liverpool in order to allow them to make the best use of their time. The role holder will act as support to and deputy for the Executive Assistant in her absence. All tasks are to be carried out with the utmost discretion, accuracy and with a very high regard for confidentiality.
Core tasks include:-
- Maintain accurate office systems, including data management and filing.
- Produce documents, briefing papers, Cathedral Bulletin, reports and presentations using Word, Powerpoint and Excel (to an intermediate level).
- Screen telephone calls, enquiries and requests and handle them where appropriate.
- Effective and sensitive handling of enquiries about baptisms, weddings and funerals.
- Deal sensitively and responsibly with some stressful and difficult phone calls/approaches.
- Meet and greet visitors at all levels of seniority both within and outside the church.
- Organise, plan and maintain electronic diaries and make appointments.
- Deal with incoming email and sort and deliver post.
- Take accurate minutes as required.
- Proactively co-ordinate all aspects of arranging and organising large services and attend conferences and meetings as and when required – including arranging hospitality when required.
- Liaise with senior clergy, colleagues, departments within the Cathedral and the Diocese and external suppliers as and when required.
- Organise travel and make accommodation arrangements.
- Complete timely expense claims on behalf of the Residentiary Canons.
- Work in partnership with the Bishops’ Office and the staff within St. James’ House to establish a collaborative working relationship.
- Undertake other duties and tasks as the Dean, Residentiary Canons and Executive Assistant may from time to time require.
- Oversee the flower arranging budget ensuring good working relationship with the volunteer flower arranging team.
- Co-ordinate conferences and documentation for Faith Academy.
- Co-ordinate the monthly service rota including clergy rotas, readings and intercession rota.
The Ideal Candidate
Personal Assistant/ Secretarial qualification
Educated to A’ level standard
Proven experience of working as a Personal Assistant/Secretary
Has a good understanding of the internet and data storing applications e.g. Cloud
Operational experience of Microsoft office packages and in using complex Excel databases
Will have all other points noted on the Person Specification (see attached documents)
Liverpool Cathedral is situated at the heart of a cosmopolitan city, adjacent to some of both the most affluent and deprived economic communities. The Cathedrals primary task is to support the missions and ministry of the Bishop and the Diocese of Liverpool.
Its mission statement ‘A safe place to do risky things in Christ’s Service’ is at the centre of all we do.
In 2014, after extensive consultation, the Cathedral launched a 10 year Strategic Plan in preparation to celebrate the centenary of its consecration in 2024. To deliver this, the Dean and Chapter has organised their work around ‘four foundations’ and ‘six missions activities’ and has set itself two ambitious goals for the entire decade: to double the number of those attending worship with us each week (by making new disciples of Christ Jesus) and to rise £24 million pounds (’24 for 2024’, to fund both urgent repairs and new initiatives). We will, by God’s grace, be mission-fit for the next hundred years. Dean and Chapter are determined to pass the building to future generations in good condition and make certain this vibrant centre of worship and mission is equipped to serve future generations well.
The role of Personal Assistant to the Residentiary Canons will act as support to the Executive Assistant to the Dean of Liverpool in her role of supporting both the Dean and Chapter in implementing and delivering the Strategic Plan.
Please read the attached job description and personal specification before making an application.