Associate Vicar/Pioneer for Community Development & Mission
The post of Associate Vicar for Community Development and Mission is a new post being created to assist the PCC at St Mary, Battersea and the wider church in its goal of pursuing the Common Good in the parish and the wider community.
The PCC also sees new opportunities for mission and evangelism. This is a self-funded post by the PCC under Common Tenure. The PCC has guaranteed funding for seven years and the offer of more.
Closing date is Wednesday 21 February 2018 at 5pm, parish visit for shortlisted candidates is on Saturday 17 March 2018 and interviews will beon Tuesday 20 March 2018.
This post will be of particular interest to both those who bring experience in social, community or youth work from their previous employment or who wish to focus the next stage of ministry on people and mission rather than the responsibilities of incumbency.
The Role - There are three parts to the role:
- Growing New Expressions of Church that are contextual, sustainable and created through a commitment to community work.
- Community Development Work, developing relationships, partnerships and responses to the Common Good agenda of the PCC, leading in this area and helping St Marys to grow in its commitment to the most vulnerable in north Battersea.
- Traditional Pastoral & Liturgical Ministry, supporting the Vicar who will lead in these areas, as he undertakes a significant national role in General Synod and the Archbishops Council.
The Ideal Candidate
The Ideal Candidate
- Mature, secure but open faith in God in Christ comfortable worshipping in a broadly traditional, liturgical context.
- Able to show competence and pioneering imagination in community development, evangelism and pastoral care. Someone who is happy to take their time with people.
- Comfortable working with people from different social, ethnic and religious backgrounds
- A self-starter who brings their work to the table unselfishly.
- A collaborative minister who enables rather than inhibits lay leadership and who understands and addresses conflict maturity and self-awareness.
St Marys Battersea is a single-church parish church, serving a geographical parish of about 13,500 to the south and west of Chelsea Bridge. The PCCs current vision is as follows:
- to be a community which is growing together with God:
- a community of Christs disciples, faithful and enquiring;
- a community of love, hospitable and nurturing;
- and a community of difference, inclusive and transforming.
The Church is not easily pigeon-holed into a specific tradition, and contains elements of Evangelical, Catholic & Liberal Anglicanism within a broadly traditional, strongly musical worship style. The church tradition is diverse, inclusive, hospitable and generous.
The church website is www.stmarysbattersea.org.uk