As the Assistant to the Canon Precentor, we are looking for an efficient and friendly person with excellent administrative skills. The Canon Precentor is in charge of the Cathedral’s liturgy and worship. This post provides administrative support to the Canon Precentor who is in charge of the Cathedral’s liturgy and worship. You will assist in the arrangements for major services and in-house events and ensure that details are recorded in the Cathedral diary.
You will be assisting with the arrangements for major services and events at the Cathedral, including seating plans and ticketing, organise meetings, take notes of meetings and generally assist the Canon Precentor in this very busy department of the Cathedral.
In sympathy with the aims and objectives of the Christian Church and the Anglican tradition, you will have good all-round IT skills including being proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel, and able to work largely unsupervised in a small, highly committed and supportive team. The post reports to the Canon Precentor.
Closing date: Tuesday, 16th January 2018.
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place on Thursday, 25th January 2018.
- Liaising with the Canon Precentor to provide efficient support for all administrative matters relating to worship and liturgy;
- Dealing with written and email correspondence and telephone correspondence when appropriate;
- Arranging and facilitating meetings for the Canon Precentor, including the preparation of paperwork and typing up notes and booking forms following meetings;
- Playing a full part in the (complex) administration of Episcopal Ordinations, Diocesan Baptism and Confirmation Services, special services and major Cathedral events;
- Providing reserved seating labels for special services and cards for all confirmation and baptism candidates;
- Performing any other duties appropriate to the role as may be required by the Canon Precentor.
The Ideal Candidate
- Good communication skills including a good telephone manner
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel which will be heavily used in this role, and diary management
- Proven administrative experience in an office environment
- Able to work on own initiative, largely unsupervised, and to thrive in a busy office environment
- A good team player with ability to relate equally well to paid and voluntary staff
- Able to demonstrate sympathy with the aims and objectives of the Christian Church
- Flexible and willing to work additional hours when needed
- Some familiarity with church terminology and the hierarchy of the Church of England
- Experience of managing long invitation lists for VIPs and dignitaries for events
The Cathedral is situated on the south bank of the Thames adjacent to London Bridge in a largely business area. It is also a Parish Church. Only a small number of people are actually resident in the parish which comprises large commercial offices, two hospitals, the Cathedral Primary School and the Borough Market. The local area has undergone tremendous change with the opening of the Globe Theatre, the Tate Modern, the Millennium Footbridge and the Jubilee Line extension station at London Bridge as well as numerous other redevelopments including The Shard and re-developed London Bridge station. The normal Sunday morning congregation is eclectic with the many visitors from all over the world. Sunday Evensong is Choral in the Anglican Tradition.