The House for Duty Priest in Charge is an excellent opportunity to serve and contribute with warm support and collegiality from the local clergy and within the Grasmoor Mission Community.
The two parishes are committed to the Diocesan Ecumenical Vision of ‘God for All’ and to working together in the Grasmoor Mission Community of Derwent Deanery. .
This House for Duty has the benefit of a vicarage in Loweswater parish which is an imposing Georgian property with views over Crummock Water. The location is set in perhaps one of the most beautiful areas in the Lake District.
If you are interested in this role or would like more information, please contact The Archdeacon of West Cumberland, The Ven Dr Richard Pratt for an informal discussion Tel: 01900 66190
Or, the Rural Dean of Derwent, The Revd Charles Hope Tel: 01768 775855
Completed applications by email to The Archdeacon:
Closing Date: 2 September 2018
Interviews: 28 September 2018
Full details are available on the diocesan website including profiles and application forms. www.carlislediocese.org.uk/our-diocese/jobs.html
The Benefice is a fairly extensive country parish covering the Lorton, Loweswater and Buttermere valleys. These are located south-east of Cockermouth in the north-west of the Lake District National Park and include villages and hamlets such as Mockerkin and Thackthwaite. The churches are in good heart with a group of able and committed lay people providing support. There is a strong tradition of community solidarity and co-operation in part connected to the church.
This is predominantly a community of agriculture and tourism. The two PCCs are active and solvent and the community inhabitants are a mix of both long established families and more recent arrivals to the area, many of the latter with professional backgrounds, and often retired.
The post requires the provision of pastoral care for these Lakeland communities encompassing three historical churches. We are seeking collaborative leadership together with a prayerful and passionate approach with a sympathy for tradition and the ability to inspire.
We are seeking a priest with the following attributes and capability:
We are a middle church enjoying the use of both Common Worship and the Book of Common Prayer. The present Lorton church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is on the site of a medieval chapel of ease succeeded by a 16th century parish church. Loweswater church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is on the site of a chapel of ease recorded c1125, which was raised to parochial status in 1281; the church was rebuilt between 1827 and 1829, and substantially altered in 1884. Buttermere church, dedicated to St. James, was built in 1840 on the site of a fell chapel, described as a ‘very ancient chapel’ in 1714. It was extended in 1884.
Our rural Benefice is in a beautiful area uniting the parishes of St Cuthbert’s Lorton and St Bartholomew’s Loweswater with St James’ Buttermere with the latter two combined in 2011. It is located within the Grasmoor Mission Community.
The church is strongly linked with community organizations and it is important for the incumbent to be seen at, and involved with, their events.
The vicarage is an imposing Georgian house with four bedrooms, spectacular views over Crummock Water, extensive parking and half an acre of garden. It has recently been refurbished.
This beautiful area has excellent hill walking, three lakes and is within easy reach of Cockermouth (the nearest market town), Keswick, Workington and Whitehaven and sandy beaches at St Bees and near Maryport. Tourism plays a significant role in the area with several hotels and pubs numerous guest-houses bed &breakfast, and youth hostel, camp sites and caravan parks