Posted 18 days agoExpires in 10 days
Fixed Term Full Time
Birmingham is the UK’s second city with the youngest urban population in Europe and one of the most lively and diverse regions. Church of England Birmingham covers an area of nearly 300 square miles, including parishes, chaplaincies, new Christian communities and schools across the city of Birmingham and parts of Solihull, Sandwell, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
Right at the heart of what we do there are over 187 Church of England places of worship with an average weekly attendance of 17,000 from a population of 1.5 million. These churches represent a wide scope of Church tradition and breadth of cultural diversity.
1 Colmore Row in central Birmingham houses the diocesan and cathedral offices of the Church of England - Birmingham. The offices are a resource centre supporting the parishes of the diocese and their communities in our shared vision of Transforming Church.
We are looking for an experienced administrator or HR generalist to support our HR processes and our specialist recruitment processes for lay and clergy appointments.
- Maintain an HR database for employees
- Maintain electronic personnel files
- Prepare payroll documentation (clergy and lay employees)
- Prepare letters, contracts and staff/clergy handbooks
- Prepare Common Tenure Statements of Particulars for clergy office holders
- Record staff and clergy changes and changes to Terms & Conditions
- Administer the annual appraisal and Ministerial Development Review (MDR) processes
- Prepare and carry out inductions for those based at 1 Colmore Row
- Triage HR enquiries from parishes and assist with low level queries, escalating higher-level queries to the HR Advisor.
- Keep up to date with Employment Law
- Provide administration for the recruitment and appointments processes for all roles (Lay and Ordained)
- Provide administration to support the selection process for candidates for the ordained ministry.
- Advertise/promote vacancies and administer the applicant tracking system
- Prepare project plans for recruitment
- Produce information packs for potential candidates
- Arrange interviews and other selection meetings.
The successful candidate will have:
- A general understanding of HR processes, or a willingness to develop in this area. A CIPD qualification, whilst not essential, would be an advantage
- A track record of delivering excellent administration
- A good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook
- Experience of Database maintenance
- Excellent accuracy/attention to detail
- A willingness to work within our values, where we seek to be: Collaborative, Supportive, Generous, Inspirational and Committed to a Common Purpose
- The ability for multi-tasking and skills in prioritisation
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to handle queries from a wide range of people
- Experience in handling sensitive and confidential information is vital
- An understanding of, and an appreciation for, the Christian ethos and values
- A knowledge of church structures whilst not essential, would be an advantage
Please ensure that you reference these criteria and how you fulfil them when completing your application.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a full-time post (35 hours a week) for a fixed-term of 5 years, subject to funding
• Salary: £25,000
• Membership of the Church Workers Pension scheme with 12% employer contributions
• Holidays 25 days per year plus 3 Diocesan Discretionary Days plus Public Holidays
• The post holder will report to the HR Adviser
• The employer is the BDBF (Birmingham Diocesan Board of Finance)
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 26th February 2019 and the interviews will take place on Friday 8th March 2019