As a Staff Payroll Administrator you will be working as part of the Staff Payroll team to ensure the Staff payrolls are processed accurately and on time. To provide an accurate and timely service for payees and other internal & external customers, in accordance with statutory deadlines. In addition, you will provide support to the Staff Team Leader in meeting the requirements of the sections service level agreement (SLA’s).
- Working as part of the Staff Payroll section to ensure the six Staff payrolls for circa 830 payees are processed accurately and on time for the monthly and quarterly paydays.
- “End to end” payroll administration including new starters, leavers, salary changes, bank details, address changes, payments, deductions, absence/sickness, variable pay, Pensions Auto Enrolment, tax code changes, validation checks and variance checks
- Compliant application of UK payroll legislation including PAYE, NI, student loans, Child Care Vouchers, Cycle to work scheme, Parental leave, statutory payments, Court Orders, GAYE, other personal deductions, and tax year start/tax year end
- Compliant application of Isle of Man Payroll legislation.
- Ensuring that statutory regulations are correctly applied and that payments/deductions are made within the scope of all relevant NCI policies
- Ensure adherence to internal controls in line with agreed processes and audit compliance
- Proactive and strict management of the payroll cut off deadlines, including sending email reminders
- Facilitation of offline payments for advances, out of cycle new starters and returned payments.
- Supporting the Staff Team Leader in ensuring that a high standard of service is provided to all customers in line with the sections service level agreement (SLA’s).
- Ensure statutory payments are requested from the Accounts department accurately and on time.
- Administration of overpayment process and the death in service process.
- Ensuring all the monthly payroll reports are sent securely to the dedicated recipients
Changes to your job description may occur over time and you will be expected to agree any reasonable changes that are commensurate with your banding and in line with the general nature of your post. You will be consulted about any changes to your job description before these are implemented.
Please refer to the job description for the full list of responsibilities
- Up to date knowledge of UK payroll legislation including PAYE, NI, student loans, Child Care Vouchers, Parental leave, statutory payments, Cycle to Work Scheme, Court Orders, GAYE, and tax year start/tax year end
- Computer literacy in Windows applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Very good numerical skills
- A meticulous and thorough approach with the ability to work accurately
- Able to identify priorities and plan and organise daily work routines
- Ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines
- Able to understand customers and their concerns
- Ability to draft clear and concise correspondence
- Confident, polite telephone manner, with ability to express points clearly and sympathetically when required
- Experience of working within a payroll environment
- Experience and knowledge of an integrated database system using workflows
- Experience and knowledge of payments or transactional systems which facilitate transactions to customers and or third parties
- Experience of dealing with a large volume of customers
- Experience of delivering excellent customer service
- Experience of working within a team environment
- GCSE or equivalent standard and proven ability in a similar role
- A Level or equivalent standard and proven experience within a Payroll or Payroll Administrator role
- CIPP National Payroll Certificate or similar
- Resourcelink Payroll system or transferable Payroll systems experience
- Able to identify process improvements and manage any subsequent changes
- Up to date knowledge of Isle of Man payroll legislation.
- Experience of servicing a “Head Office” customer base
- Experience and knowledge of payment systems such as BACS or CHAPS
- Able to organise the workload for the team in Staff Team Leaders absence
- Experience of user acceptance testing for system upgrades and Tax Year End/Start
We in the National Church Institutions support the mission and ministries of the Church all over England. We work with parishes, dioceses (regional offices), schools, other ministries and our partners at a national and international level.
Excellence, Respect, Integrity
We follow these three values in everything we do, whether we are of Christian faith, another faith or no faith. To learn more about working for National Church Institutions and our benefits, please click here
As we are a member of the Armed Forces Covenant, we welcome all applications from those you have served in our Armed Forces and their families
We are committed to building a culturally diverse workforce. As part of this commitment, we welcome applications from people, regardless of their background. As a Disability Confident committed employer, it is important to note that there may be occasions where it is not practical or appropriate to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria* due to high volume. We limit the amount of interviews conducted to five applicants per open post we advertise.
*Where applicable depending on post requirements.