Organ playing, choir training and other musical duties
The Cathedral Church of St James and St Edmund, Bury St Edmunds, was created in 1914 when the existing St James’s Church was selected as the seat of the new Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The Cathedral remains also a parish church. The building was enlarged by Stephen Dykes Bower in the 1960s and its central tower was opened by HRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall in 2005. New cloisters, chapels and other building works were completed and consecrated in 2009. Further major projects were completed in 2010, namely the installation of the vaulted ceiling and the refurbishment of the Cathedral organ.
St Edmundsbury Cathedral maintains a daily round of worship with the Anglican choral tradition of music at its heart. The Book of Common Prayer and Common Worship are used on a daily basis for routine services and there is a vast range of special services of celebration, thanksgiving and commemoration when local and national bodies and individuals attend. In addition, there are a significant number of secular events such as concerts and art exhibitions on an almost weekly basis. The Cathedral is also a principal destination in East Anglia for tourists and other visitors and also provides a significant educational programme for schools visits.
St Edmundsbury Cathedral Enterprises Limited oversees the Cathedral Gift Shop, our Tourist Information Point, Pilgrim’s Kitchen (café/restaurant) and our external events facilities.
St Edmundsbury Cathedral is a lively and exciting place in which to work. The completion of major building works has seen the Cathedral grow in size and activity and the place has become busier. The extraordinary variety of people who are associated with the Cathedral and the remarkable diversity of the events which take place here mean that there is much to capture the imagination of the Cathedral’s employees; much to be done, and much to enjoy.