Thank you for considering the post of Rector in the Upper Itchen Benefice. We live in an area designated as being of outstanding natural beauty in the South Downs National Park, a few miles east of Winchester. We very much look forward to welcoming a Priest to lead us in the next stage of our journey with Christ. We are a broad church comprising six parishes and we enjoy both traditional and contemporary styles of worship.
Our vision and priorities:
We want ‘The Church’ in the Upper Itchen to be at the heart of our community, growing and vibrant, so that it can reach all generations and promote Christ’s message of love and hope. Our mission is to know and show God’s love.
Our medium-term priorities
• To enable all parishioners to feel wanted and loved by the church, and the church community;
• To identify a service pattern which will encourage church worship, especially in the young, but which embraces everyone and leads them to a vibrant and living faith;
• To build up and enrich our individual and collective prayer lives;
• To reach out to the wider community and beyond in a way which shows church to be relevant, attractive and with something meaningful to offer;
• To continue to build fellowship within the benefice;
• To encourage individuals who may be interested in any form of spiritual vocation;
• To be a responsible and collaborative partner with the Diocese in relation to possible Deanery changes.
Our short-term objectives
• To ensure the new Rector is supported and settles into benefice life as quickly as possible;
• To assist the new Rector in discerning the needs and aspirations of the benefice and of the individual parishes and the people in the parishes;
• To discuss and determine the future pattern of services with the Benefice Forum;
• To develop further opportunities for people from different parishes to work together for bible teaching and fellowship;
• To maintain and encourage diversity of worship in all the Benefice churches.
Closing date: 20 December2018 at 12 noon
Tour and interviews: 23 and 24 January 2019
We are a welcoming benefice with great potential, seeking an engaging and inspiring priest who is able to connect with all age groups and lead us in our vision for church to be at the heart of our community.
For more information about this application process, please use this link
At the heart of our life is the desire to be always Living the Mission of Jesus. We are engaged in a strategic process to deliver a mission-shaped Diocese, in which parochial, pastoral and new forms of pioneering and radical ministry all flourish. Infused with God's missionary Spirit we want three character traits to be clearly visible in how we live:
The Diocese of Winchester is an exciting place to be right now. With a grant of £4.3m from the strategic Development Fund, we are investing in missional projects across the diocese which are aimed at strategic growth for the common good. We pray that, if God is calling you to join us in his mission here, he will reveal this to you clearly as you consider this post.
This is a Crown appointment