Set on the edge of the Trough of Bowland, the United Parish of Barnacre, Calder Vale and Scorton is one parish in three locations, sharing Christ and serving community. The parish is set in a rural and picturesque area, with small villages, winding country lanes and close-knit communities.
The nearest larger town is Garstang, a thriving town with excellent facilities, including four supermarkets, numerous independent shops, an excellent library, three primary and one secondary school and a sports centre and swimming pool, as well as many social organisations.
We are a diverse parish who are looking for a House for Duty Priest who is adaptable and who can support each church to flourish in their own unique ways.
We are praying for a new Priest who will:
- maximise the potential of Scorton as a tourist centre and place of outreach.
- encourage each village to develop its sense of USP and mission plan
- look to build on vacancy work in Scorton school and potential for a ‘formal’ New Local Congregation
- lead across the parish in embedding turnaround of finances
- seek to develop and grow the three communities spiritually and numerically.
- bring an innovative and creative approach to helping the churches work together in line with the Diocesan Vision 2026.
- work with lay and ordained colleagues on the joint Ministry team to develop worship, mission and ministry across the area.
- develop and strengthen the ministry to schools, especially to the two Church schools in the Parish and work with the Head, staff and volunteers to grow and nurture the Christian faith.
- inhabit the strengths of existing patterns of worship whilst looking for opportunities to innovate and refresh through a diversity of worship styles.
- work with others to develop strategies to build on community mission particularly those of permanent and temp residency, who are lost or of non-faith.
- listen and respond to the pastoral needs of the congregation and community, developing lay pastoral ministry and advocating for rural/local issues.
Closing date: Wednesday 13th December 2023
For an informal conversation about the post, please contact the Archdeacon of Lancaster: Ven David Picken (email@example.com)
Interviews will be held on: Wednesday 10th January 2024