We are seeking an experienced priest with the skills and capacity to exercise ministry at incumbent status, leading our anglophone community in this cosmopolitan area of the Ticino Canton
- We are broadly in the catholic tradition but looking for a priest with the imagination to evolve the pattern of worship to cater for those who do not come from a conventional Anglican background
- Our new priest will need to be able to engage and respond with pastoral support for people of all ages, together with a track record that shows a genuine interest and ability to address the needs of our young disciples of Sunday School age and beyond
- We are seeking someone with the experience and wisdom to embrace and empower our cultural and denominational diversity, along with an ability to identify and encourage members to use their individual skills in the service of God
- We need an outgoing personality with the confidence to engage with local community groups, ecumenical activities and outreach projects
The picturesque church, some 5 minutes walk from Lugano town centre, is in a detached location adjacent to the chaplain’s spacious accommodation which has lake views and a small private garden.
An intermediate level of spoken Italian (B1) and beginner level of written Italian (A1) are required, unless the applicant holds Swiss / EU / Schengen passport, or residency.
We are offering a remuneration package that is aligned with standard practice in the Diocese in Europe, and in accordance with Swiss requirements, and includes a full stipend, pension contributions and membership of the excellent Swiss Private Health Care System.
Some facts and figures
• Average of approximately 40-50 persons attending the weekly Sunday Service of Holy Communion • At major festivals this number increased considerably
• Continuing increase in the number of young families in recent years as we have a thriving Sunday School (lessons twice a month) with a calendar of extra-curriculum events throughout the year.
• Midweek Said Eucharist, attended faithfully for many years and really appreciated by a small group
• Quite a number of St. Edward’s congregation are married to local Swiss and Italian nationals, who belong to the RC Church.
• In the summer months much of the resident ex-pat community take extended trips home
• During the summer many holidaymakers return from year to year to worship at St Edward’s
• A small part of our congregation was (and still is) made up of families or single people who only remain with us for 2-4 years depending on their work contracts.
• Total population of Canton Ticino approx. 350,000 - Lugano and outskirts circa 60,000
• The Canton historically attracts a substantial international community with a mixed cultural and religious background. (e.g. the late George Harrison)
• The economy of Ticino is based principally on tourism and banking services with some light industry.
• The territory is well known for its excellent viniculture.
Closing date for applications: 19th June 2023
In person interviews in Lugano: 12th – 13th July 2023
For an informal conversation, please contact: The Venerable Dr Peter Hooper Archdeacon for France, Monaco and Switzerland Telephone: 0044 784520 5283 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For a recruitment pack and the chaplaincy profile, please contact: Ms Barbara Omoro - Appointments Secretary E-mail: email@example.com