POST: HALF TIME PRIEST IN CHARGE St JOHN THE EVANGELIST, KING’S LYNN
(PART OF THE KING’S LYNN MINSTER BENEFICE)
HALF TIME TEAM VICAR AND CHILDREN AND FAMILIES’ MISSIONER, KING’S LYNN MINSTER
A rewarding opportunity for a priest to serve as Priest in Charge of St John the Evangelist, an informal open evangelical town centre church with strong links to the community as Children and Families missioner across St John’s and its neighbouring parishes.
We are looking for a priest confident in their love of God who can lead and encourage the church to grow and develop its mission to the community it serves. This will include taking forward learning from participation in the Partnership for Missional Church programme.
The Vicar of St John’s Kings Lynn is also a Team Vicar in the Minster parish, serving as Children Youth and Families’ Missioner for the contiguous parishes of S John’s, the Minster and S Faith’s Gaywood. This offers is an exciting opportunity in intentional mission, as these three benefices seek to develop their outreach to their younger populations.
King’s Lynn is a vibrant up-and-coming town in beautiful West Norfolk. With £25m from the government’s Town Deal Fund, it is improving its education and training, clean energy and travel and cultural life. Relations between the civic and church communities are excellent. The town has good travel connections to London and the North of England and is within easy reach of stunningly beautiful coastal and rural areas.
We are praying for someone who will:
- Develop the work with the younger and older members of the current church family
- Discern where God is leading the church and move in that direction and direct the church in that process
- Build an inclusive community and have a presence in the local neighbourhoods
- Bring people to work together as a team, and develop new teams for key roles
S John’s Priest in Charge and Children and Families’ Missioner Specific Purpose
The appointed candidate will
- take on the responsibilities and opportunities of the post of priest-in-charge of S John’s
- promote and develop existing outreach for mission across the parishes.
- think strategically about the development of future missional activities with children and families, building teams and equipping lay leaders so that this ministry is sustainable.
- oversee and coordinate children’s events across the parishes, enabling replication.
- act as a bridge between families and the local churches, inviting the community into church and church into the community.
- work with the Diocesan Children, Youth and Families team, with the Bishop of Lynn as Bishop for Mission and other appropriate people within the Diocese as part of the whole diocesan desire to communicate the gospel to children, young people and families.
Key characteristics of post-holder:
- An ordained priest in the Church of England, or a Church in communion with the Church of England with a desire to see lives transformed by Christ
- Personally rooted and confident in their love of God and God’s love for others
- A contagious joy and faith, with a heart for working with children, young people and families
- A pastoral heart and able to care and take an interest in and have an awareness of individuals
- A passionate preacher who can communicate the Bible’s message and challenge
- A practical and pastoral enabler who can lead by example, fostering and developing community contacts
- A good and open communicator, well organised and with a proven track record in gathering, working with and overseeing teams of volunteers
- A team leader and player, able to appreciate the differences in the roles of priest-in-charge and missioner in different parishes, collaborating as appropriate with different people and traditions.
- Knowledgeable, experienced and with good knowledge of safeguarding theory and practice
- Good IT skills and experience of appropriate use of social media.