This is a rare opportunity to be in at the start of a new way of doing ministry in three beautiful, well resourced, historic parishes in the heart of West Berkshire. Following a long period of suspension, during which time the parishes worked closely together, building strong relationships, a plan has emerged to formalise the way the parishes work on the ground by creating a Team ministry, uniting the two benefices formally. We are currently working through a Pastoral Scheme which, we hope, will lead to the formation of a Team Ministry. We are seeking to appoint an incumbent for the two benefices who will walk with us through this process and then help us form the new Team and launch us into a new collaborative, flourishing future. We are looking for someone with good leadership skills, a heart for ministry and a passion for the gospel to come alongside these energetic and faithful congregations at this exciting time.
Closing date for Applications: Sunday 15th October 2023
Interviews: Thursday 9th November 2023
All appointments are subject to acceptable pre-appointment checks, including a satisfactory Enhanced DBS Check.
We look forward to welcoming an Incumbent who will:
• Oversee our becoming a new benefice, developing our collaboration, administration and stewardship
• Maintain and grow community links. Be approachable and seen in the local community where our neighbours meet – schools, village halls, sports clubs, pubs for example
• Be actively involved in both primary schools and the pre-school and keen to develop the ministry to children and young people
• Encourage and develop lay ministries including preaching, service leading and pastoral care • Be involved in the recruitment and deployment of a House for Duty Team Vicar
• Have a creative approach to services, encouraging innovation whilst being mindful of the good already happening
• Build us up as enthusiastic and outward looking disciples, confident in engaging with God’s mission
• Be a generous leader who is willing to build trust and capability across the proposed Team and the wider congregation
• Commit to developing their own learning, wellbeing and spirituality
We look forward to an Incumbent who is:
• Flexible and relaxed about diverse styles of worship, valuing them all for what they bring to God’s work
• A person with a strong discipline of prayer, study and spiritual development
• Empowering others by generously giving authority and responsibility whilst gently retaining accountability
• Willing to be vulnerable and take risks
• A creative thinker and leader, ready to bring fresh energy to parish teams
• A good communicator and a good listener
• Understanding of how people come to Christ by different routes and how their faith may reflect this
• A generous leader who is willing to build trust and capability across the proposed team and the wider congregation
• A keen interest in rural multi-parish ministry, with a love of the countryside
We are a group of three rural parishes, situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty in West Berkshire, midway between Reading and Newbury. We have strong links with our two local Church of England Primary Schools as well as informal links with local Independent Schools and community organisations. As part of God’s family in this area, we seek to honour God and his creation, and share his love with the people around us.
For the last 20 years, our three parishes, which are part of two benefices, have worked together as an informal team under a single Priest in Charge. We are seeking to restructure the way we work and are currently developing a Pastoral Scheme that we hope will result in the formation of a Team Ministry, with a Team Rector.