Posted 13 days agoExpires in 19 days
£21,500 - £23,250 (1.0 FTE) depending on experience
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced administrator to work with the Archdeacon of Barnstaple, The Venerable Verena Breed, to provide an efficient and effective administrative and organisational support service that promotes effective communication internally and externally with archdeaconries, deaneries, parishes and key stakeholders.
The Diocese of Exeter is currently operating a hybrid pattern of office- and home-based working; as we emerge from the pandemic, the normal place of work will be diocesan offices, combined with some home working. There is the expectation of occasional travel throughout the county of Devon, very occasionally on evenings and at weekends.
Qualifications and Training:
- Professional experience and relevant qualifications and/or education to ‘A’ level.
- Good secretarial and typing skills.
- First Aid at work qualification.
- Experience of providing administrative support within a diverse working environment.
- Proven organisational skills with attention to detail and accuracy, using initiative to plan and prioritise workload from two Archdeacons; determining which piece of work needs to be completed first and responding flexibly to circumstances.
- Experience of working as a key member of a team demonstrating good interpersonal skills and a collaborative style of working.
- Experience of committee administration
- Experience of establishing and maintaining systems- setting up paper based and electronic filing.
- Experience working in charitable or similar organisation.
- Excellent oral communications and a professional telephone manner.
- An understanding of the parish system and the wider
- Able to communicate effectively with a broad range of people, providing accurate and timely responses/advice.
- Good written communication skills; able to articulate concepts accurately and succinctly.
- Numerate with financial knowledge and related skills
- Advanced IT skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
- Willingness and aptitude to learn to use new technology to support the work of the Archdeacons.
- An understanding of the parish system and the wider organisation of the diocese.
- Knowledge of the MS Office 365 suite of programs, including MS Teams.
- Welcome in person visitors and receive incoming enquiries and telephone calls, dealing promptly and courteously with enquires.
- Ensure all health and safety instructions are followed and that care is taken to ensure safety for self and colleagues, reporting concerns immediately.
- Sensitive to the different cultures, traditions and activities within the Church and maintain a consistent approach to clergy and non-clergy matters.
- Commitment to anti-discriminatory practices within the Church of England’s legal context.
- Understanding of the Church of England, its parochial system and the wider organisation of the Diocese
- Welcoming and friendly, able to create a good rapport whilst maintaining professionalism.
- Able to use discretion when dealing with complex, sensitive/confidential issues.
- In sympathy with the aims, values and ethos of the Diocese of Exeter and of the mission and ministry of the Church of England.
Practising communicant member of the Church of England, or of a church belonging to the Churches together in England
Closing Date: Sunday 18 June 2023
Interview Date: Tuesday 27 June 2023