Are you the person God is calling to this exciting and unusual post?
We are seeking an Anglican-Methodist minister for Helmsley and Upper Ryedale. The area has an ancient Christian history. Helmsley is a small community but one that has both a considerable hinterland of villages and moorland, and a large number of tourist visitors. The surrounding villages all have their own character and identity.
The appointee will be a priest of the Church of England or another episcopal church with which it is in full communion. They will be given the necessary authorization to minister within the Methodist Church. Commitment to ecumenical mission (including good relations wit the local Roman Catholic parish) is essential, as is sensitivity to the nuances of style and tradition between and within each of the denominations. The appointment is for a fixed term of three years (potentially renewable)
Our prayer is that this post will express and foster the unity of purpose and endeavour, and the task of making Christ known in the communities in moorland and vale, that we are glad and privileged to share.
Closing Date: 09:00hrs Thursday 27th April 2023
Interviews: Thursday 18th May 2023
The person appointed to this role will be unique because this role is atypical. We are praying they:
- Will help us to celebrate and respect our differences of history and tradition but at the same time help us overcome inhibitions in sharing together our love of God in the way we live out Christ's story.
- Be someone with vision, energy, perseverance and positivity.
- Assist us to work more closely together whilst maintaining our independence.
- Will help us to focus on our wider mission, social outreach and community activities including rural mission and tourism.
- Will lead us and encourage us to share the gospel.
- Will encourage us to care for our community.
- Will work alongside our full-time youth and children's worker to grow mission opportunities with families.
This post is supported in respective proportions by the Diocese of York and the Ryedale Circuit of the Methodist Church in the Yorkshire North and East Methodist District.
The Diocese of York, led and guided by Archbishop Stephen Cottrell, takes in much of North and East Yorkshire. As the largest diocese in England, geographically, the area is very diverse, featuring a multitude of needs and opportunities. This includes the bustling urban centres of York, Hull and Middlesbrough, the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors National Park, and the incomparable Yorkshire Coast; as well as areas of deprivation in some of our urban and smaller rural and coastal communities.
Our mission and ministry relies on thousands of people - lay and ordained, volunteer and paid. Our diocesan teams provide a wide range of support services to our mission and ministry, including lifelong learning for ministry, the care of church buildings, and safeguarding. Together, we are striving to be a people who are ‘Living Christ’s Story’. We want to be a simpler, bolder, humbler church which in its diversity reflects the communities it serves. We are bringing renewed focus and fresh energy to achieving our aims:
- Becoming more like Christ
- Reaching those we currently don't
- Growing in discipleship, influence and numbers