The single church parish of Wokingham, St Sebastian’s, a charismatic evangelical church, is looking for a new vicar who will embrace the opportunity to renew our vision and focus, disciple our long-term and newer members, extend the good news of Jesus to our community, and work closely with families and our school.
With a heart for Jesus and sharing the Gospel you will work with us to:
If you feel this could be your next calling and would like to discuss this post please contact the Area Dean: The Revd Canon Richard Lamey, Tel: 0118 3279116, Email: email@example.com
For more details please see the link below to our Parish Profile, which includes the Person Specification and Role Description.
All appointments are subject to acceptable pre-appointment checks, including a satisfactory Enhanced DBS Check.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 29 November 2022
Interviews: Friday 20 January 2022
Mission and Outreach:
• Focus on young families and those in need in Wokingham Without and Crowthorne, doing whatever we can to care and serve them within and beyond the church building.
• Review our Mission and vision with new leadership helping set fresh priorities for the future.
• Identify and implement ways to increase the depth of personal discipleship and spirituality for our community.
• Expand our sense of fellowship and grow our church community while being inclusive of our existing congregation.
• Develop our environmental and sustainability activities and ethos.
• Delivering our mission in the Church primary school through assemblies, support at events, church services, the incumbent to be a Govenor and lay appointments as Governors.
Leadership and collaborative working:
• Leading our parish with confidence and clarity.
• Manage and support the work of the Youth and Family workers, Church Administrators, Church Wardens, the PCC and the Team Leaders
• Working collaboratively and affirmingly with the Leadership Team and volunteers
• Committed to Working with our local Christian churches e.g. Churches Together in Crowthorne and the Deanery of Sonning.
• Providing Vision and lead the church Vision planning and delivery
• Identifying and developing skills and gifts of others in Ministry.
Worship and preaching:
• To lead the congregation in our current worship patterns.
• Identify new opportunities and possibilities for worship and preaching to reach the unchurched.
• Enabling and encouraging a diverse range of preaching styles.
Family and Youth Work:
• Supporting the work of our Family and Youth Workers to integrate this mission more fully into the wider church
Stewardship and benefice organisation:
• Oversee our Stewardship Programme and Support it with biblical teaching to enable a spirit of generosity to grow among us
As St Sebastian’s new Vicar, we will offer our care and support and encourage you to maintain a sustainable ministry, including days off, holidays, adequate time for family, friends and recreation. As a loving church we will support you by giving time and resources to enable you to continue learning and developing your ministry. You will not be alone but assisted by our three LLMs, our Family and Youth Workers, Administrators, Churchwardens, PCC, Pastoral Team, Standing Committee and other PCC committees and the Team Leaders. We are firmly committed to working with you to meet the challenges and pleasures of our parish.
Why might you want to be our new vicar?
We are a single church parish, embedded in Wokingham Without which lies between Crowthorne, Wokingham and Bracknell in semi-rural East Berkshire. We are a small church with a big heart for Jesus, the Holy Spirit and prayer. We are a church of a charismatic evangelical tradition. We have three members of the Ministry team to share the load. We employ Family and Youth workers and part-time administrative cover. In addition, there are dedicated Churchwardens, PCC members and Team Leaders who look after specific areas of church life such as Pastoral Care and Worship, leaving the incumbent more time to concentrate on leadership and other areas of interest. There is a sound foundation and love for Jesus, a consistent congregation in the church services and a growing number of people attending our Base services. The vicarage is a short walk from the Church and has recently undergone major refurbishment by the Diocese.