Posted 18 days agoExpires in 24 days
This is an outstanding post for a priest who wants to combine parish duties with chaplaincy to a vibrant and high-performing secondary school. St George’s is an 11-16 school serving some of most income-deprived areas of Blackpool and is part of the Cidari Multi-academy Trust (owned by the Diocese of Blackburn). It has a strong Christian ethos and seeks a Chaplain who will be at the heart of its life. St Mary’s serves the residential area of Squires Gate in South Shore. It has a Eucharistic tradition and a small but energetic congregation who are keen to find a priest who will help them to grow in line with the Diocesan strategic plan, Vision 2026.
The post carries a full stipend and the successful candidate will be expected to spend three days a week in school during term time and on examination results days. This is an ideal post for a priest who is seeking a rich and varied ministry and who loves to see people of all ages come to faith.
As Vicar of St Mary’s the candidate will:
- Enjoy the Eucharistic tradition of the parish whilst rethinking patterns of worship that can engage with new people and younger generations
- Build up the confidence of the existing congregation so that they can be more effective in living out their faith.
- Seek ways to grow the congregation in number and in depth and help renew ministry to the young
- Be a loving and caring pastor to the community, building relationships with the groups and organisations associated with the Parish
- Build up the profile of the Church within Squires Gate and seek ways to minister across the whole Parish.
As Chaplain to St George’s School the candidate will:
- Be a strong and highly visible pastoral presence in the school, building relationships with students and staff.
- Develop and support the Christian ethos of the school
- Co-ordinate Collective Worship across the school and lead worship regularly.
- Relate directly to the Headteacher and build strong relationships with the senior team.
- Offer a coherent account of the Gospel and find ways to help students explore the Christian faith, including extra-curricular groups and activities
- Relate well to the DBE and the Deanery and build relationships with local clergy
- Invite the Bishop of Burnley in regularly as he loves St George’s School
The candidate will:
- Have a disciplined and rich life of prayer
- Have plenty of experience of working in schools. (A teaching qualification would be helpful but is by no means essential. Above all the school wants a priest who enjoys ministry to young people and the whole school family).
- Be a gifted pastor with a love for people of all ages and an ability to build healthy relationships quickly.
- Enjoy planning and delivering collective worship for the secondary age students and staff
- Be a team player who loves to work collaboratively and who is aware of their own strengths and weaknesses
- Be a clear and authentic preacher and possess an ability to communicate the Gospel in ways that connect with all ages
- Be able to articulate a vision for parish renewal and be able to think strategically in growing a parish.
- Be aware of the national inspection agenda
Closing date: 27th October
Interview date: 7th December
For an informal conversation about the Vicar role please contact The Ven David Picken, Archdeacon of Lancaster – firstname.lastname@example.org
For an informal conversation about the Chaplain role please contact Mr Graham Warnock, Headteacher –l email@example.com