The Bishop of Southwark is seeking a new Rector for the Parish of St Mary Newington - a lively, diverse and inclusive church in the modern Catholic tradition near to the Elephant and Castle.
As the profile makes clear, the parish is ‘looking for a priest with energy and passion who will work with us to develop a vision for the future, draw people into that vision and empower others to contribute to it’.
Our hope is that the person appointed here will lead us and enable others especially in the following areas:
- Passionate in the pulpit: someone who will share their faith and perhaps sometimes their doubts with energy and passion bringing the Christian faith alive in all they say and how they live.
- A leader in mission: someone who will help our church to grow in numbers and in depth and especially amongst the many young families, children, teenagers and young adults who live in the parish as well as those from communities which are under-represented in our congregation.
- Community focused: someone to help us put our Christian faith into practice in loving and serving that community and engaging the many institutions – some of which are leading and world class – in our midst.
- Helping us to make St Mary’s a place of excellent pastoral care
- Using the opportunity of new resources from a development contract on church land to repair and improve our buildings as well as to oversee that contract and the developments it then enables.
- A Loving & Diverse Congregation: A congregation which is keen to work with the new Rector to grow and to reach out to the community. Our congregation is forward-looking and diverse in terms of age, ethnicity, gender and sexuality.
- A five Bedroom House and Garden in central London: A five-bedroom detached house in central London with large living areas and garden.
- Financially solvent with potential resources to restore and develop our buildings.
Details for applicants
Anyone interested in a conversation about the role is welcome to contact the Archdeacon of Southwark, Jonathan Sedgwick on 07585 113773 or Jonathan.Sedgwick@southwark.anglican.org
Closing date: Applications should be received by midnight on Sunday 10th July
Interviews will be held on Friday 22nd July.
We welcome applications from priests who have completed a stipendiary curacy (or equivalent) in the Church of England or another of the Anglican Churches of the United Kingdom. The diocese is particularly keen to encourage women and those of UKME heritages to apply for incumbency and other more senior roles.