Canterbury Deanery and the parish of Thanington St Nicholas and St Faith is looking for a priest to come and join us who can encourage and equip the whole people of God, both locally and across the Deanery, to be more effective in reaching out to those who live on the estates in Canterbury, and model this in their own life and ministry. Collaboration, courage and creativity brought to witness to the good news of Jesus Christ are key in this role. Read on if you think that you might be the priest to take up this new role in Canterbury Deanery.
The Deanery Estates Mission Enabler and Priest in Charge, Thanington St Nicholas at St Faith will:
Our new mission priest will be committed to Changed Lives → Changing Lives and be:
● Missional: with a clear heart for the Gospel, they will have the skills, from their experience, to equip us to connect with those who have little or no contact with the Church, especially on the estates (present and future) in Canterbury Deanery and in the parish of Thanington.
• A Team Player: both across the Deanery and in the parish, our new the new mission priest will have a commitment to, and demonstrable experience of, leading and equipping team work - Setting God’s People Free.
● Pastoral at heart: the new mission priest will be caring for, supporting, equipping and enabling the parish of Thanington and working most closely with the congregation of St Nicholas. Their ability in, and commitment to, care, trust and working together will be key in taking next steps in this mission work.
• Courageous: ready to lead us into making brave decisions, they will be willing to engage in new ideas and projects which challenge the ‘way we have always done things around here’ as we commit ourselves to a flourishing and sustainable future;
• Creative: innovative and pioneering, they will bring new ideas to, and lead us in discerning new possibilities for, our ministry on estates in the Deanery and in the parish of Thanington.
Changed Lives, Changing Lives
By God’s grace we want to be a people who are...
…confident & creative disciples of Jesus Christ
...rooted in scripture & drenched in prayer
…living gratefully, giving generously, caring for creation & sharing the gospel
...growing in number & expectations – of God & ourselves
...motivated by justice & love, open to the Spirit & ready for adventure!
Therefore we will ….
'Therefore we will...' is a recognition that words without actions are empty. It is a
commitment to taking real steps now to make this vision a reality soon. The current actions
that flow from this vision - both at a diocesan level and in our deaneries - are outlined in
detail over the rest of this document. Of course, these actions will change and develop
over time - and we would encourage our parishes to consider this vision carefully for
themselves, to explore together what actions they will commit to take, what their local
'Therefore we will...' might look like.