Posted 12 days agoExpires in 5 days
Capital Youth is the Diocese of London’s 5-year plan to boost the number of young people engaged by our church communities in evangelism and discipleship. Youth Minsters are a key part of this program and are funded through Church Commissioners Strategic Development funding. Their role within Capital Youth is to grow the numbers of young people who are part of our worshipping communities by reaching new young people with an aim in helping other churches to grow. The Diocese of London plans to plant a final Minster within a Church of England School in Hendon, in the Edmonton Episcopal Area in North London.
The role is to lead this innovative new work, building it from scratch over three years. The post-holder will lead groups in the school that will help young people to explore their faith, work with students to establish a fresh expression of church in the school, work with the Message Trust to develop youth ministry in the local community and support the Bishop of Edmonton in developing the Edmonton Area’s ‘Growing Younger’ priority.
The specific tasks and duties may vary from those mentioned below and the post holder will be required to undertake any other duties that are commensurate with the role. There will be a review of the job description on a regular basis to ensure that it is still up to date with the changing needs of the apprenticeship scheme.
The principal aim of this post is to launch the Edmonton Area Schools Minster
Faith exploration in School:
- Work with young people to lead a fresh expression in the school.
- Deliver Youth Alpha (or similar) course to allow students to explore faith.
- Run a clubs and activities in the school that enable students to explore their faith.
- Be a positive presence in the school, getting to know young people and supporting the spiritual life of the school.
- Recruit volunteers from local churches to support work in schools.
- Working with the Message Trust.
- Work with the Message Trust and to make use of the Bus in the school.
- Join the Message Bus when it visits local churches.
- Join with message trust team activities in the London Area.
- Lead initiative to pray for the school community.
Supporting ‘Growing Younger’ in Edmonton:
- Develop a ‘soul-net’ style support network for youth workers in Edmonton.
- Support the Bishop of Edmonton and their senior team developing strategy.
- Advise and Support clergy in the Edmonton Area alongside the Diocese Team.
- Run an Edmonton youth event with support from Area Team.
Special conditions or working arrangements applicable to the role:
This role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Experience, knowledge, training and qualifications
- Highly Experienced in Christian Youth Work.
- Experience working in a school’s context.
- Basic mentoring and coaching skills.
- Qualification in Youth Work/Ministry.
- Experience leading a fresh expression of church with young people.
- Experience recruiting volunteers.
- Experience supporting others developing their youth ministry.
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders.
Aptitudes and abilities
- Strong communication skills both with adults and young people.
- Strategic thinker.
- Ability to build a project from scratch.
- Good IT Skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to use digital media to engage young people.
- Ability to work enthusiastically in support of the aims and ethos of the Church of England.
- Willingness to work in line with the Diocese of London Safeguarding policy.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and to anticipate what needs to be done.
- Ability to work flexibly over a wide range of tasks.
- Flexibility to occasionally work outside of normal working hours.
- Good interpersonal and social skills.
- Ability to work with others but also independently when required.
- Ability to work in a diverse context.
The LDF exists to support the mission of the Church of England in London. The principal activity of the London Diocesan Fund is to operationally and practically serve and support the parishes and people within the Diocese of London, enabling the vision that every Londoner will encounter the love of God in Jesus Christ.