Posted 8 days agoExpires in 11 days
St Nicholas Church, Market Place, Durham
We are seeking a faithful, enthusiastic and motivated Student and International Worker with a passion and dedication to seeing students grow in discipleship and service.
A confident self-starter, proactive, with good administration skills and able to set priorities; we are looking for someone with a heart for Jesus who will be able to lead a student team and be part of a staff team with a shared vision on discipleship and renewal.
- Oversee the proliferation of Spiritual Support Groups for Students as part of the Community of St Cuthbert
- Support the small group leaders and assistant student workers, discipling them so they can disciple others. Encourage those involved in student leadership through college CUs, mission events, bible studies
- Provide pastoral support to students working under supervision and with the support of the wider pastoral team
- Encourage and support innovative mission amongst students including justice projects both at Nics and more widely in the city.
- Create spaces for non-Christians to connect with church e.g. Club Mission, invitational events, on-campus projects
- Help the church welcome and integrate non- and new-Christian students
- Identify student leaders (both in church and in wider contexts, e.g. Sports Society reps / Student Union reps etc)
- Oversee and develop pathways for student discipleship involving others within the church community
- Facilitate student engagement in wider church leadership
- Evidence of Theological study or qualification
- Experience in leading students
- Experience in discipling others
- Experience of working week in a team setting
- Experience of working well with volunteers
- Experience of planning and delivering events
Skills & Abilities
- An understanding of current student issues
- Excellent pastoral skills with students, including post graduates
- Confident IT skills with knowledge of varied social media channels.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy.
- Strong organisational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of and commitment to good practice in Safeguarding.
- A proven networker and communicator
- Ability to work within a wider staff team
- A personal faith in Jesus Christ.
- A heart for seeing students come to faith and growing in discipleship
- An understanding of, and empathy with, the challenges of student life
- An eagerness to learn and develop, to try new things and work with flexibility and enthusiasm.
- Ability to respect matters of confidentiality and sensitivity.
- Ability to model a missional lifestyle
St Nics is an open evangelical church based in the heart of the City of Durham. As part of the Church of England we have a diverse community of 300 regular attenders across all age ranges. Based in the University City of Durham St Nics has a long established ministry with students over decades. This vacancy arises after the departure of our previous student and international worker to train for ordained ministry.
For decades St Nics has developed a ministry with international students and scholars in our university city of Durham. As part of that ministry St Nics offers hospitality to visiting students, scholars and their families every Wednesday evening in the form of a coffee/social event called Amigos. This takes place usually on church premises with the help of committed volunteers. We are a registered member of HK church.