Posted 11 days agoExpires in 19 days
Church House, 211 New Church Road, Hove, East Sussex
FTE £35,000—£43,000 pro-rata for 3.5 days per week.
The vision of the Diocese of Chichester is to help people within the Diocese to know, love and follow Jesus. Based at the Diocesan Office at Church House, Hove, we serve the people of the Diocese across more than 360 parishes, more than 150 church schools and the wider community as a whole.
We wish to appoint a skilled Governor Development and Admissions Officer who will be responsible for providing support and advice around school governance and overseeing the admissions code of practice and issues related to compliance in all Church of England Schools across the Diocese.
- To develop, implement and deliver a programme of training and support for new and existing church school governors including clerks of governors of church schools, newly appointed incumbents with church schools as part of the Partnership Agreement.
- Work with the Senior Leadership Team to address leadership and management issues in schools causing concern in order to raise standards and improve outcomes for children, for example representing governance School Improvement Boards, conducting reviews of governance, mentoring Chairs of Governors, brokering external support for inexperienced Chairs of Governors, advising on governing body self-evaluation.
- To advise governing bodies on their instrument of government and to manage the appointment of Foundation Governors in church schools, liaising with schools, parishes, archdeacons and local authorities.
- To deliver and support a diocese-wide Foundation Governor recruitment programme.
- To work with the administration team within the department to ensure that information on the website and database for Governors is maintained and updated as appropriate.
- To oversee, commission and lead support related to admissions, as necessary, in liaison with the relevant Local Authority (LA) and the Department for Education (DfE), for each Church school in need of advice on the Admissions Code of Practice.
- To advise governors and head teachers on administering their process of Admissions and dealing with complex issues and appeals.
- To monitor government policy on the training and development of governors and to liaise with the relevant national associations.
- Ensure schools receive updates on legislation and good practise in particular as it relates to Church schools, that accurately reflects government policy through producing regular and timely articles, newsletters and guidance as appropriate.
- To attend annual Autumn briefings for schools, and any other events as deemed necessary.
- To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required, and to work as a member of the Education team.
- The post holder should be willing to undertake training when required.
- Ability to deliver training to Governors and Head Teachers
- An understanding of and commitment to the role of the Foundation Governor
- Experience of having been a school Governor
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ability to establish effective working relationships- especially with governors, head teachers, local and central government officers and other related professionals and office colleagues
- An understanding of current government policy regarding School Governance and School Admissions
- The ability to analyse policies, information and data and to present clearly the key points from documentation.
- The ability to work on own initiative and manage workload efficiently.
- Supportive of the Christian ethos of the diocesan Education team and the schools they serve
- Knowledge and experience of working with the admissions process in Church of England Schools.
- Appropriate administrative experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- A practising Christian of a denomination which is a member of Churches Together in England.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Trevor Cristin, Director of Education at the Diocese of Chichester. Telephone 01273 425 687 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Applications must be received by midnight on Monday 5th July 2021. Interviews will be held on 16th July 2021.