The Chapter of St Paul’s Cathedral wishes to appoint a Tenor Vicar Choral to join its world famous Choir which provides music for the daily liturgical life of the Cathedral as well as singing in special services, broadcasts, recordings and tours.
There are 12 Vicars Choral in the Cathedral Choir at St Paul’s – four altos, four tenors and four basses.
At present their duties are as follows:
1. To sing at 60% of the statutory services throughout term time and their associated rehearsals.
The current schedule is –
Monday Day Off
Tuesday 1700 Evensong – Rehearsal 1630 Wk 1 Choristers only Wk 2 Full Choir
Wednesday 1700 Evensong – Rehearsal 1630 Full Choir
Thursday 1700 Evensong – Rehearsal 1630 Vicars Choral only
Friday 1700 Evensong – Rehearsal 1630 Full Choir
Saturday 1700 Evensong – Rehearsal 1630 Full Choir
Sunday 1000 Mattins – Rehearsal 0915 Full Choir
1115 Eucharist Full Choir
1500 Evensong – Rehearsal 1430 Full Choir
Vicars Choral are entitled to three days off in every two weeks, the days off currently being every Monday and every other Tuesday.
2. To sing at the following obligatory services (at which you and not a deputy must be present):
Eucharist and Evensong on Christmas Day
Mattins, Eucharist and Evensong on Easter Day
3. To sing at other feast days and at special services in the year as may be designated by the Chapter from time to time.
4. To sing or provide a deputy for the many extra services, weddings and memorials at St Paul’s, which carry extra fees and are detailed in the monthly Vicars Choral Diary.
5. To sing or, in consultation with the Director of Music, provide a deputy for recordings, broadcasts, concerts and tours which Chapter agrees the Choir may undertake.
6. To take responsibility for any solo verse which occurs at statutory services during the Vicar Choral’s verse week as delineated on the monthly music list.
As a result of the Covid pandemic a consultation about contractual terms for the Vicars Choral is planned which may lead to some changes in the conditions of employment.
The Cathedral Chapter are committed to finding a Vicar Choral who:
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Please note we are not able to sponsor applicants for work visas for this position; therefore, it is a requirement that all applicants have the right to work in the UK in order to apply.
The individual will be in sympathy with, and in their work support, the Christian aims and mission of St Paul’s Cathedral.
St Paul’s is an equal opportunities employer and draws together a very diverse set of activities, projections and aspirations. It is the Cathedral of the Diocese of London and the seat of its Bishop, a national church and an international spiritual focus, a space for worship and holiness, a place of debate and challenge, an icon of resilience in the face of adversity, an architectural heritage centre, a partner in the City of London, and a commercial enterprise.
Applications should consist of –
(a) a completed application form via Pathways; and
(b) your CV (uploaded to the Documents section of your Portfolio section of your Pathways application).
Please provide within your application contact details of two referees. We may take up references for applicants during the recruitment process.
The timetable for this recruitment is:
Applications to be received by midday on Tuesday 18 May 2021. All applications will be acknowledged on receipt, and applicants contacted by Thursday 20 May.
After the shortlisting process there will be two stages to the audition:
1. Invited candidates will be asked to upload a recording of their singing by midday on Tuesday 25 May.
2. Candidates who are successful after stage 1 will be asked to attend an audition and interview in person on Thursday 10 June (notified by Friday 4 June).
Enquiries: Angela Palotai, Music Department Administrator, 020 7236 6883, email@example.com