The Diocese comprises five Episcopal Areas, each coterminous with an Archdeaconry. This is now one of the largest dioceses in the country and its creation is unprecedented in the history of the Church of England. It covers an area of around 2,425 square miles, and a population of around 2,642,400 people.
The three former dioceses were created in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries to cater for massive population changes brought about by industrialisation and, later, mass immigration. The diocese comprises major cities (Bradford, Leeds, Wakefield), large industrial and post-industrial towns (Halifax, Huddersfield, Dewsbury), market towns (Harrogate, Skipton, Ripon, Richmond and Wetherby), and deeply rural areas (the Dales). The whole of life is here, along with all the richness, diversity and complexities of a changing world.
The Diocesan Bishop is assisted by five Area Bishops (Bradford, Huddersfield, Kirkstall, Wakefield and Ripon) and five archdeacons (Bradford, Halifax, Leeds, Pontefract, Richmond & Craven).
Our vision as the Diocese is about confident clergy equipping confident Christians to live and tell the good news of Jesus Christ. For all of our appointments we are seeking clergy who have a joyful and confident faith which has inspired a track record of church growth, both numerically and spiritually.
The town of Ossett and village of Gawthorpe are close to the M1 and M62 road networks making it a good location to live for those who work in nearby cities such as Wakefield, Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester. There are also good public transport links, both bus and rail; and the local primary and secondary schools have excellent reputations.
Ossett is a market town within the metropolitan district of the City of Wakefield, West Yorkshire and together with Gawthorpe village they have a strong sense of community and their own identity; both have excellent amenities for all ages and there is a mix of housing and socio economic groupings. There are also a number of industrial areas, mainly in the service sector, providing local employment.
Ossett has been served by chapels and churches since 1409 and the original Church was in the town centre but, with the population growth, a larger building was needed. The current church, Trinity, was built in 1865 on the outskirts of the town. With its size and scale it has become a well-known landmark and has been likened to a miniature cathedral.
The parish of Ossett & Gawthorpe was formed in 2002 with the amalgamation of Holy Trinity, Ossett and St Mary’s, Gawthorpe and Chickenley Heath; this followed agreement by both PCC's that this was the most effective way of serving the people of Ossett and Gawthorpe; as a result St. Mary’s Church was closed and the two congregations successfully merged. The Patron of the parish is the Rector of Dewsbury.
With new energy, and new vision the Church building was refurbished and developed as a flexible, large space suitable for a variety of congregational and community needs; in parallel, the Trinity Centre building was developed for community use, with two halls, a fully equipped kitchen, full disabled access facilities and a small office.
The people and parishes Christ Church South Ossett and Trinity Ossett and Gawthorpe are continuing to pray for an Associate Priest who loves God, loves people and loves a challenge to come among them and join them on their faith journey as they build on all that has gone before
Closing date for applications 7th May, 2021
Interview date 20th May, 2021
See Person Specification