The parish of St Mary’s is located seven miles north-west of Nottingham, in the northern part of the borough of Broxtowe. A former coal mining area, it is now suburban and semi-rural in character, with over 50% given over to farming and woodland. It has a rich heritage and exciting mission opportunities.
The Deanery of Newstead comprises a mixture of towns and villages of varying sizes in a former coalfield area of the county with a population of around 140,000 and growing with new housing developments. There is a pride in its industrial heritage, which has left its imprint on these communities, who have a strong sense of family, cohesion and loyalty to the local community. There is still pain around the pit closures of late last century. Much use is made by our population of their local church, especially for the occasional offices, such that some of our best mission opportunities and strategies are still grounded
in “Christendom” mode. That said, there are a good and growing number of pioneering projects and a focus on developing new worshipping communities
Interview date: 16 March 2021
The church of St Mary’s and its fifteenth century tower with eight pinnacles has provided a reassuring presence and a signifcant landmark for generations of Greasley worshippers and local residents, as well as for those simply passing by
A Grade II listed building, the church is medieval,having been built in the mid-15th century, and was restored in 1882. It had previously been restored in 1753, 1772 and 1832
Many of the settings for DH Lawrence’s novels were inspired by the beautiful countryside of Greasley. He lived in nearby Eastwood and based his stories on real people and places, the latter of which can still be seen today.
Both Greymede church in The White Peacock and Minton Church in Sons and Lovers were based on St Mary’s.
See attached Profile
Our successful candidate will
Priorities of the role in the next five years
Growing Disciples - Wider
Growing Disciples - Younger
Growing Disciples - Deeper
See attached information
Knaresborough, North Yorkshire