Posted 2 months agoExpires in 5 days
St Andrew’s vision is ‘’To bring knowledge of Jesus and the Christian faith to the people of Cippenham by reaching out and welcoming in. To reflect the love of God by practical service to the community.’’
Unusually, this large parish on the western fringe of Slough shares a building with the local Roman Catholic congregation. This continues to be a fruitful and positive relationship for both churches.
The parish encompasses some areas of deprivation and social dysfunction and the church is viewed locally as a supportive space to come for those who are in difficulty.
There are ongoing discussions between the church, deanery, diocese and local authority about redeveloping the entire site on which the church stands to reflect modern circumstances. This is an exciting opportunity for mission to the local community.
For a priest who is grounded in prayer and worship, pastoral and community facing this post offers an interesting opportunity to build confidence and enable mission in a supportive and willing church.
The new Vicar will be committed to the diocesan vision of becoming a more Christ-like Church for the sake of God’s World – contemplative, compassionate and courageous – and to enabling the church to grow and develop its work within the local community.
- To provide positive, collaborative leadership and encourage and develop the ministry team
- To encourage us to build relationships with young and old across the wider community
- To be as enthusiastic as we are about our desire to reach out to our neighbours and, by building relationships, introduce them to the joys and challenges of being part of the family at St. Andrew’s
- To work with us to help and inspire us to discover new ways of taking the message of Jesus and God’s love out to those who live in our Parish
- To understand that we value the worship we have at St. Andrew’s whilst, at the same time being open to new initiatives
- To encourage and guide us on our individual journeys of faith by leading us in bible and other study groups
We are praying for a new vicar who:
- is relational, collaborative and encouraging
- is enthusiastic about enabling mission in our local community
- will help us grow in our faith
- will value our eucharistic tradition and help us explore new ways of worshipping God
- will laugh with us as we experience the joy of being a church community
- Collaborative leadership and team development
- Pastoral engagement and support for people of all ages
- Valuing existing worship traditions and embracing new and creative initiatives in liturgy and preaching
- Encouraging and guiding individuals on their faith journeys
- Enhanced DBS disclosure required
- A developed understanding of mission in an urban context
- Comfortable in an ecumenical environment. Although St. Andrews is a shared Church, we do not expect applicants to have direct experience of sharing a building with Roman Catholics
Knowledge/Skills and Competencies
- Well-developed leadership and pastoral skills
- Good communication and preaching skills, making time for listening and encouragement
- Relational ministry which encourages others to build relationships in the local community
- Ability to identify and respond to missional opportunities, especially with individuals and community organisations whose involvement with the Church is limited
- Ability to drive and have own transport. The parish is large and public transport is limited
- Be friendly and approachable with a good sense of humour
- Share the vision and values of the Diocese and those of the Benefice
For further information about the parish, our vision and our plans and aspirations, please read our Parish Profile.
For a conversation to discuss the role further, please contact the Bishop of Buckingham, The Rt Revd Alan Wilson on 07525 655756.
Closing date for applications: 2 December 2020
Enhanced DBS Clearance Required