We are seeking to appoint a full-time, visionary and pioneering ordained priest who can establish and grow a new, dynamic worshipping community with a distinctive Christian voice on environmental issues, which is rooted in worship and prayer, in partnership with the Diocese of Southwark and Lambeth Palace.
Establish and grow a new worshipping community, specifically:
- Lead the work of pioneering a new Church with a commitment to all the marks of mission with a particular focus on the 5th Mark of Mission to be based at the Garden Museum, St Mary’s.
- Establish and grow a thriving worshipping community with a distinctive Christian voice on environmental issues which is rooted in worship and prayer.
- Engage with people who are at present outside of the church seeing themselves as
‘spiritual’ but not ‘religious’.
- Reach those outside the Church, especially those with an interest in ecology who want to explore the role of Christianity and the environment.
- Engage effectively with those outside and on the fringe of the church who have a strong affinity with ecological awareness and issues of social justice.
- Reach out into the local community to serve and to show God’s love to all through pioneering new ministries and fresh expressions of Church
- Establish a clear voice for the Church on difficult and complex issues that brings together the local, national, and international.
Teaching, Training and Support
- As a strong team builder, maximise impact and be a resource for the wider church.
- Organise a series of “dialogues” with others drawing national and international participation and enabling the Church to speak with confidence into spaces of complexity and where solutions are challenging.
- In time, train and raise up leaders for small group study for other churches in the Diocese and more widely as this worshipping community becomes a hub for the work of mission and environment in the Diocese and more widely.
Communication, Evaluation and Monitoring
- Help the new church to be a prophetic voice inside and outside the church on the area of caring for creation.
- Be a gifted communicator.
- Proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ authentically in this location from within a community committed to living out the Fifth Mark of Mission with a national and international impact through community engagement, dialogue, reconciliation,
seminars and conferences.
- Establish a strong and relevant social media presence.
- Work with the Diocesan Strategic & Operational Projects Department to ensure that we track and evaluate progress and growth
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders in North Lambeth Parish, the Garden Museum, the Diocese of Southwark, Lambeth Palace. Possibility of building partnerships with others such as Christian Aid, Kew Gardens, University environment projects etc.
- Facilitate conversation around ecology and the climate emergency.
Key anticipated outcomes
- A new worshipping community established at St Mary’s Lambeth (The Garden Museum) with attendance figures of 100 by 2024.
- A Church offering lectures, seminars etc championing the 5th mark of mission across the diocese and beyond including using digital technology for a global audience.
- The creation of evangelism and discipleship programmes to form and nurture new believers.
- By 2022, an established eco-church with a national profile for promoting the 5th mark of mission.
We are looking for an innovator who can:
- help to grow a new church with a special focus on environmental issues and the fifth mark of mission.
- establish a series of engaging and thought-provoking dialogues on the theme of the environment inviting engagement from national and international participants
- place the Church in the heart of complex issues that speak honestly to the response we as Christians should be considering.
We are looking for an ordanined Minister who is:
- Highly missional.
- Is passionate about issues of ecology and promoting the 5th mark of mission.
- Understands that engaging with the environment is not just about being on protests but is focussed on practical and systemic change.
- Demonstrable and practical experience of ecology and the difference it has made.
- Visionary and pioneering excited by challenge and prepared to be risk taking and experimental.
- Innovative, authentic, relevant, creative, inclusive, flexible, adaptable, resilient and energetic.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- A strategic and creative thinker.
- Able to demonstrate and use effective networking skills including social media.
- Able to empower and create leadership opportunities for lay members of the worshipping community.
- Able to establish and grow our worshipping community in faith, in spirituality and in numbers.
North Lambeth Parish is a vibrant and diverse part of inner city London in the exciting urban context of the Kingston Episcopal Area of the Diocese of Southwark and the Archdeaconry of Lambeth.
The Parish runs from Westminster Bridge Road in the North to Kennington Lane in the South. On the West it is bordered by the River Thames and to the East by Kennington Park Road (see map below). The Parish population is around 20,000 in an area where there is significant deprivation next to great wealth.
North Lambeth Parish is currently a ministry with a single Parish with two churches St Anselm's Church, Kennington and St Peter's Vauxhall.
For an informal chat please contact: The Revd Angus Aagaard, CF (Team Rector)
firstname.lastname@example.org Tel 07810646644 or Canon Will Cookson (Dean of Fresh Expressions) Will.email@example.com Tel 07505 128548