Portsmouth is a large, densely populated and vibrant city, circa 280,000 people, with a long and distinctive, particularly naval history. While still the Home of the Royal Navy, in the last thirty years new industries have grown, particularly in electronics and engineering,
often with a defence-related theme. The public sector is now a major employer. In recent years the city has become known for major capital projects such as Gunwharf Quays retail and residential development and the Spinnaker Tower, and for the growing size and reputation of its University. Portsmouth has two theatres and a Guildhall as concert venues. Portsmouth (Pompey) Football Club, currently in League One, is very popular with large crowds attending home games.
Southsea is the seafront area of Portsmouth. It developed, particularly as a resort, in the latter part of the nineteenth and early twenthieth century. Nowadays it is a large and busy residential and leisure area.
St Jude's Southsea is looking for an evangelical priest:
To lead the congregations of St Jude’s and St Margaret’s in their growth in:
- their relationship with God through Jesus Christ
- their love for one another
- their witness to the world
we would love to hear from someone who has real confidence in evangelism and discipleship.
- Are you passionate about Jesus and sharing Him with others?
- Are you committed to the orthodox teaching of the Word of God in the power of the Holy Spirit?
- Are you a collaborative leader who can lead an energetic, experienced and established Staff team?
- Are you a team builder with a servant heart who longs for growth?
- Are you able to equip God’s people to develop their prayer life, discipleship and outreach to their community?
Is God calling you to be the Vicar of our open Evangelical Church, in the heart of Southsea, Portsmouth?
- A mature Christian faith and dependency upon God in prayer.
- Submitted to and trusting in Christ, holding firmly to the biblical gospel thereby able to encourage and teach others in sound doctrine and discipleship.
- Self-controlled, not a recent convert, honest and upright and of integrity.
- If in a partnership, then with a well-functioning marriage and family life.
- A willing and skilful pastor, servant hearted, humble and accountable.
- Able to teach the Word of God with confidence.
- Hospitable to others.
The above taken from St Paul’s pastoral letters.
- Self-sacrificial commitment to the congregations of St Jude’s and St Margaret’s churches.
- Ability to discern, articulate, establish, communicate and strengthen the identity, values and vision of St Jude’s.
- An encouraging and positive attitude towards life and faith.
- A readiness to work collaboratively in partnership and value the contribution and success of all team members.
- An orientation towards outreach, numerical growth and future opportunities to church plant.
- An ability to communicate well and motivate others.
- A readiness to empower, equip and enable other leaders.
- Interpersonal skills with respect, empathy and care for others.
- Project management experience including budgeting, scheduling and change- management.
- Personnel experience including recruitment, appraisal and staff discipline.
- Ability to recruit, inspire and support volunteers.
- Skills in planning, organisation, administration, decision-making, management and communication.
- Ready to be a visible presence of the church in our local community.
- Willing to play a part in the Deanery and Diocese as a key Anglican leader in Portsmouth.
- Able to work across denominations in seeking to build the Kingdom of God in our city.
CPAS is an evangelical patron with patronage of nearly 700 churches.
The closing date for this post is 31st of January 2020.
Interviews and visits are on the 17th and 18th of February.
If you have queries about this post please contact Kathy Burch email@example.com or Graham Archer firstname.lastname@example.org