We have an exciting opportunity for Children & Youth Worker in Horley, a growing town on the edge of Gatwick Airport where new housing and schools are being built.
As a Team Ministry consisting of three churches, we have secured funding for a Lay Worker for Children & Youth to enhance our focus on families and schools and to grow new worshipping communities as well as develop existing ones.
We are looking for a person with experience, enthusiasm and vision to be responsible for overseeing and growing the discipleship of our children and young people by placing the family unit at the centre of our discipleship strategy and building a culture of discipleship within every church family.
This role will play and important part in implementing “A Fruitful Future: Strategic growth and cultural change in the large, diverse Diocese of Southwark”. This post is one of the specific projects that have been identified in places across the Diocese of Southwark where there is a clear opportunity for growth, and funding has been obtained as part of the Church of England’s Renewal and Reform programme.
The post is initially for a fixed term of 5 years.
Working alongside the ministry team, the Lay Worker for Children & Youth will have a two-fold focus:
• Demonstrable (3 – 5 years) experience leading children or families ministry
• Experience of outreach ministry to families
• Thorough understanding of safeguarding policy and its application in a parish context
• Biblical knowledge and the ability to contextualise this for children/families in our parish context
• IT Skills, proficiency in MS Office
• Social media awareness and ability to use in ministry
• We are an evangelical Anglican church and expect the candidate to live a lifestyle commensurate with our values and ethos
• Takes the initiative in creating contacts and building on existing relationships with families in the parish
• Approachable to parents and to children
• Advocate for children and young people to be actively involved, heard and encouraged in the life of the church
The Diocese of Southwark is at an exciting point in its journey as it implements a project funded by the Church Commissioners. We have has identified places across our Diocese where there is a clear opportunity for growth, and the Children and Youth Worker in Horley is one of these.
These projects are an important part of our Southwark Vision 2017 - 2025, which, shaped by Bishop Christopher, has a clear focus on delivering five key objectives which, in summary, are:
As a Diocese, we celebrate churches, worshipping communities and fresh expressions of Church, across the full spectrum of traditions, that speak well of each other and support each other as together we seek to deliver a our key objectives. This diversity and range of contexts within our Diocese means there needs to be more than one approach to missional growth – and this role will be a key feature of our journey towards delivering this growth.