The attractive Benefice just south of Winchester encompasses both rural villages and areas with relatively recent and possible future housing expansion. Therefore there are a range of challenges and opportunites among this diverse population.
We seek a priest based on our mission statement - Rooted in God, Growing together, Reaching out to the Community.
A priest who will lead and nurture our Benefice of four parishes, building on recent achievements, to develop the mission of the Church in the community and ensure that pastoral needs are met.
The Ideal Candidate
They will be a person who with the present ministry team will:
- Be a creative and sensitive spiritual leader, pointing others to Christ, whilst maintaining and growing your own spiritual discipline.
- Support the many lay people who currently lead services and church activities, and develop others to take on such tasks.
- Preach and teach in a way that connects with contemporary life and inspires regular and irregular churchgoers to grow their faith
- Be a good communicator with a sense of humour who can relate to a wide range of people.
- Develop the Benefice Mission and structure to meet changing needs.
- Develop a relationship with the schools in the Benefice : this includes taking assemblies and appropriate services in the churches.
- Be visible to all in the community – whether they are believers or not.
- Lead and attend necessary meetings, but delegate where possible to other skilled people.
- Be active in the PCC meetings, ensuring that matters are clearly presented, voices are heard, and discussions crystallised in clear decisions and actions which are then carried through.
- Work with the Benefice and Deanery in discerning possible future pastoral reorganisation in relation to the neighbouring benefice
At the heart of our Diocesan life in Winchester is the desire to be always Living the Mission of Jesus. We are engaged in a strategic process to deliver a mission-shaped Diocese, in which parochial, pastoral and new forms of pioneering and radical ministry all flourish. Infused with God’s missionary Spirit we want three character traits to be clearly visible in how we live:
- Passionate personal spirituality;
- Pioneering faith communities;
- Prophetic global citizens.
The Diocese of Winchester is an exciting place to be at the moment. We wait with eager anticipation to see how this process will unfold. We pray that, if God is calling you to join us in his mission in this part of the world, he will make his will abundantly clear to you.
“As the Father sent me so I send you … Receive the Spirit” (John 20:21)