Senior Internal Auditor and Risk Manager
The Risk Management and Internal Audit Department has two main roles – Internal Audit delivery and Risk Management facilitation and oversight.
The internal audit service aims to provide management and trustees with independent and objective assurances about the identification and mitigation of business risks and if appropriate, to identify potential internal control, operational and governance improvements.
The risk management process aims to organise and facilitate the implementation of effective risk management processes across the National Church Institutions.
The Department is made up of a Director of Risk Management and Internal Audit, two Senior Auditor and Risk Managers and an Internal Auditor.
In addition to the in house team, a co-source partner firm assists the department in the delivery of selected internal audit assignments.
As Senior Internal Auditor and Risk Manager, you will undertake assurance and consultancy assignments within the National Church Institutions (NCIs).
You will provide management and trustees with independent and objective assurance over the identification and mitigation of business risks, and identify operational and governance improvements.
In addition, you will assist NCI management to identify, assess and manage risks.
Interviews will be held on 22nd March 2018
- Plan individual internal audit assignments with the Director of Internal Audit and Risk Management and NCI senior management and auditees. Outputs to be an approved planning document with agreed objectives, scope of work and timings and budget.
- Undertake appropriate fieldwork to allow evaluation of the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls to manage and minimise risks to the objectives for the area being audited. Ensure that fieldwork is adequately documented in line with the agreed internal audit methodology and working paper requirements and is delivered within agreed budget and timescales.
- Agree the accuracy of findings with auditees and NCI senior management where appropriate.
- Produce draft internal audit reports, in an agreed format, for review and approval by the Director of Risk Management and Internal Audit
- With the Director of Risk Management and Internal Audit, work with auditees and senior management to finalise assignment reports and agree management actions to address issues raised.
- Assist in the production of internal audit and assurance progress and summary reports for Audit & Risk Committees.
- Work with NCI senior management to facilitate and oversee the identification, assessment and evaluation of risks identify appropriate mitigations and additional actions as appropriate and update the risk registers.
- Provide challenge and advice to senior management to ensure that the risks registers and risk management activities are timely, accurate and consistent with the risk management policy and approach of the individual NCIs.
- Provide reports for trustee bodies, senior management groups and Audit & Risk Committees, as appropriate, summarising risk management activity, changes to risk registers and emerging issues.
- Contribute to the annual internal audit and assurance planning process working with the Director of Risk Management and Internal Audit.
- As requested, provide consultancy advice, guidance and advocacy on internal control, risk management and governance, that is fit for purpose, provided promptly and accepted by management.
- Undertake special investigations or reviews, as requested.
- Deputise for the Director of Risk Management Internal Audit, if required, in relation to quality review of internal audit reports, attendance at Committee and management meetings, as appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
- Able to establish constructive working relationships with senior managers and members (trustees).
- Able to plan and deliver internal audit assignments within limited resources, meeting both customer expectations and professional standards.
- Significant PQE experience in the delivery of risk based and compliance internal audits across a variety of processes.
- Experience in facilitation of risk management workshops and risk register reviews with staff and management and involvement in the production and review of risk registers.
- Professional self-presentation and interaction with customers which creates a good impression and profile for the department and team and allows challenge, where appropriate to customers and senior management.
- Relevant professional Audit or Accounting qualifications (MIIA, ACA, ACCA etc.)
- The post is based in central London but some limited travelling and overnight stays as required.
- Relevant qualifications in risk management
- Ability to influence decision makers, coalitions and other intermediaries to effect change.
- Competence in the use of IDEA or other data interrogation and analysis application, Visio, Access and OneNote.
- Knowledge of the governance and structures of the NCIs and wider Church of England.
- Wider internal audit and assurance good practice and approaches.
- Of the legislative, regulatory and accounting frameworks and operations of charities and pension schemes.
- Of Charity Commission risk management guidance and good practice.
- Knowledge of the use of risk indicators and risk assurance.
- Friendly, collaborative and good team player
We in the National Church Institutions support the mission and ministries of the Church all over England. We work with parishes, dioceses (regional offices), schools, other ministries and our partners at a national and international level.
Excellence, Respect, Integrity
We follow these three values in everything we do, whether we are of Christian faith, another faith or no faith.
Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible* 35-hour working week for work-life balance and a minimum 25 days holiday plus 3 defined organisational days leave and an attractive defined pension scheme.
We are committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from people, regardless of their background.
*Where applicable depending on post requirements.