Priest in Charge
Pennington is a growing village community, close to the coast and on the edge of the beautiful New Forest. We are offering you the opportunity of a role that is largely devoted to developing mission with the unchurched and de-churched, alongside a consequently limited role sustaining the established worship and ministry of the church.
With a very capable associate priest leading our established services, members of our congregation actively pursuing further training through the diocese and a core team who actively support the regular services in church. All of this means the new priest will have a strong support team – ensuring that they will have time to step out of the church and into the community, to further our mission and existing initiatives as well as develop new ideas.
We seek a priest in charge for St Mark’s church based on our mission statement – to love, to serve, to give, to all - in Jesus’ name.
We would expect you to spend around 60% of your time away from St Mark’s church in order to spread the mission outside of the church, communicating with non-church goers in our close-knit community.
We welcome applicants who have a heart for developing mission. Are organised, innovative and have a strong preference to work collaboratively with teams. Enthusiastic to further develop links with an evolving community and an imaginative and spiritual leader, grounded in their own faith.
The Ideal Candidate
They will be a person who:
- Experiences a deep and passionate faith in daily life and finds it quite natural to share it with others
- Is an inspiring preacher and teacher, interpreting the Christian message in ways that connect with contemporary life, and with people for whom it may be unfamiliar
- Will lead the ongoing development, implementation and review of mission plans, ensuring that vision becomes action
- Can enable individuals to discern their gifts for lay ministry and is committed to supporting them in developing and using these in worship and outreach
- Has the experience, ability and commitment needed to lead us in developing new forms of church life and discipleship beyond the boundaries of our inherited expectations, patterns and buildings
- Is committed in developing the cluster partnership with St Thomas Lymington to enable mission, and will play an active part in the life of deanery and diocese
At the heart of our Diocesan life in Winchester is the desire to be always Living the Mission of Jesus. We are engaged in a strategic process to deliver a mission-shaped Diocese, in which parochial, pastoral and new forms of pioneering and radical ministry all flourish. Infused with God’s missionary Spirit we want three character traits to be clearly visible in how we live:
- Passionate personal spirituality;
- Pioneering faith communities;
- Prophetic global citizens.
The Diocese of Winchester is an exciting place to be at the moment. We wait with eager anticipation to see how this process will unfold. We pray that, if God is calling you to join us in his mission in this part of the world, he will make his will abundantly clear to you.
“As the Father sent me so I send you … Receive the Spirit” (John 20:21)