Priest in Charge (0.5) St Lawrence, Denton
The PCC of St Lawrence’s is looking for someone who will build on their existing links with the community and help them to develop their recently restored building as a resource. There are ample opportunities for mission and growth, including some good links with local schools.
The next Priest-in-Charge will work alongside a recently ordained OLM and will be someone who is of an open evangelical tradition genuinely collaborative and able/willing to delegate outward facing and experienced in nurturing disciples in mission and evangelism able to relate well to people of all ages and backgrounds.
This is a 0.5 post and offers a house and expenses paid in full.
- To work with the PCC in developing the Mission Action Plan
- To explore ways of using the church as a community resource
- To strengthen the links with the community and the schools
- To work with the Mission Partnership in developing genuine mission opportunities
- To deepen the spiritual life of the congregation
The Ideal Candidate
Spirituality and Tradition
Applicants for the post should
- Be a person of prayer
- Have the celebration of communion at the heart their spirituality
- Be creative and innovative in worship and willing to draw on other traditions (e.g. celtic)
- Be open to working and worshipping with the breadth of C of E traditions
Experience and understanding
Applicants should be able to demonstrate the following
- Experience of working well with other clergy and churches
- An understanding of the value of self-supporting ministry
- Experience of building bridges between schools and church
Skills and competencies
Applicants should be able to show
- An ability to build effective teams of lay and ordained ministers
- Good people skills
- An ability to encourage people of all ages in their journey of faith
- An ability to help the church engage positively with the local community
- Have a pastoral heart and be willing to visit
- A good sense of humour and fun
- A good listener
- Someone with energy and open to new ideas
St Lawrence’s lies at the southern most part of the Deanery of Ashton. It is part of the Audenshaw and Denton Mission Partnership that takes in Christ Church and St Anne’s which serve Denton, and St Stephen’s which is one of the Audenshaw parishes. These parishes share in worship during the month of August and occasionally at other times. There is much potential for greater working together in mission and in sharing resources, though this has been slightly hampered with two other churches in the area choosing not to join the partnership.
Ashton is a diverse deanery with a significant and growing Muslim community as well as an increasing number of people from Eastern Europe. There is a wide range of church traditions within the deanery; one, (St Hilda’s Audenshaw) looking to the Bishop of Beverley for episcopal oversight.
The 15 parishes in the deanery are served at present by 12.5 FTE stipendiary priests alongside other ordained and authorised lay ministers. The Deanery is one of the four pilot deaneries across the diocese that are putting into effect the Fit for Mission programme which involves parishes coming together in mission clusters or units, sharing resources (including lay and ordained ministries) and making better use of the church buildings that are fit for purpose.
For further details please check the website:
For an informal chat, in the first instance, please contact Venerable Cherry Vann, Archdeacon of Rochdale on 0161 678 1454 or by email at email@example.com
Closing date: 2nd February 2018
Interview date: 12th February 2018